Poor access to internet via LAN

James H 08:45 05 Nov 04

Morning All, I have LAN network of 6 computers which until the last two months worked perfectly accessing the internet. I then had problems where at many different times it could not be accessed (all computers at the same time). I have changed the broadband modem twice, have contacted BT who have indicated that there is no problem with the line. The broadband adapter is linked only to my phoneline and the internet. Any ideas?

Thanks

James

hillybilly 08:53 05 Nov 04

"...many different times it could not be accessed (all computers at the same time)."

How long a period could you not get access? and when you did how did you? ie switch em all off or orjust unplug and reset your modem?

James H 09:00 05 Nov 04

Various drastically, could be a hour of access then it sudenly stops, then in the case of this week, couldnt get on for over a day (this is a home network so am relying on info via phonecalls from my wife complaing about the "crap internet". When I am at home I could sometimes get it to work by reseting the modem etc but not always. The modem has been changed twice and still no solution.

Thanks for any help

James

hillybilly 09:13 05 Nov 04

I can see this is could end up being one of those very long posts and your going to get 200 different opinions! So I'm going to get in first, you probably won't like mine but I'm confident, I'll bet it's down to BT They may tell you the line is fine, does it go down during the evening/night as well? or just daytime? Are they working on your local exchange, or anywhere between the exchange and your home! Because anything like that can affect you and they won't tell you they have dug up the road amile away and been playing with the wires all day.

It's not like you lost connection on one pc, so whats the central point, your modem! You say you have swapped it twice, so you have to be very unlucky to have 2 faulty modems.

I live in the sticks with overhead cables and lamposts, we had these sort of probs but everybody in the area petioned and we got1.5 miles of new cable to the exchange. Guess what we have not dropped off for over three moths!

hillybilly 09:19 05 Nov 04

Dreadful typing should read

"I live in the sticks with overhead cables and no lamposts, we had these sort of probs but everybody in the area petitioned and we got 1.5 miles of new cable to the exchange. Guess what we have not dropped off for over three moths!"

James H 09:27 05 Nov 04

Hi mate

I dont disagree, I am seriously fed up with this. The IT bod who has been trying to sort it out is very experienced is also at a loose end with this and cannot see what the problem is. I am waiting in a queue for BT broadband customer services to see if there is any solution. Will keep you informed.

James

hillybilly 09:41 05 Nov 04

Just explain mine a bit further. I work from home (s/employed) my wife works from home but for a very very large Ins/pension company, we have 4 seperate phone lines 2 of which are B/B but with different suppliers, I have Plusnet she has BTOW. When 1 used to go down it was always that, another would follow 20 mins later, but BT Wholesale would swear black was white that there was nothing wrong!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…