"Polyphonic Wizard" - Software disabling router?

SLIMMERTIF 08:01 07 Jul 05

I could be in big trouble with a phone bill, but hopefully, I have found out after only an hour.

Does anyone have any knowledge about the following.

I have BT broadband, and use a BT Voyager 205ADSL Router, together with a wireless set up, so that I can use my laptop. My daughter was using the main computer, and said her friend used some free software to dl polyphonice ring tones. It was a trial version, and lasted for a week. She downloaded and installed the software, and then managed to dl several ring tones. Later on in the evening, we got booted off the net, and as it was late, I didn't do any research. In the morning, she tried to get on the net, but no pages would display.

I came home, and went to My Computer and checked the hardware, only to find thaat the router had a cross through it, along with the network card.

I have re-enabled these, and we now have access to the net fine, and I have un- installed the software.

However.... has it done any damage to my phone bill? Would ithave been able to use the phone to dial up. As far as I am aware, I don't have an ordinary modem in this computer. Sorry to be so vague, but !! Kids - free software and computers - just usually means trouble.

Kate B 12:29 07 Jul 05

I suggest disabling your daughter! Sounds as though you've caught the nasty but you should do a sweep with the various anti-spyware apps and AV software.

SLIMMERTIF 08:13 08 Jul 05

I wish I could at times - the trouble they can cause, kids and computers I mean!!

I have done all the cleaning I can, run Crap Cleaner, Adaware and also done a complete scan for Virus. Nothing found by AV, but some spyware that I have deleted. Lets hope it has all gone now, along with the program.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Studio vs iMac 5K comparison review: Apple and Microsoft all-in-one PCs battle it out

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Social media image sizes, specs and aspect ratios: the ultimate guide

New MacBook Pro release date, price and specs | New MacBook Pro 2016 announced: Now with Touch Bar…