Polipos virus

Garb 19:35 06 May 06

Running win XP pro. AVG free anti virus.

Have contracted the win32 Polipos virus. Have managed over several times to put the infected files in the "vault" and then run avg to find everyhing is clear. I have 2 hard drives, each partitioned into 3. I have various bits of software stored on the non-system partitios. I have run avg in normal mode and safe mode and it says all is clear. The next day I get a virus alarm to say another file is infected. What's the best way to deal with this now? Hair already thin and getting thinner. Not looking forward to a reformat.

johnnyrocker 19:56 06 May 06

have you disabled sytem restore before running cleaner?

Devil Fish 20:14 06 May 06

its a p2p born polymorphic virus a nasty one at that

all i can suggest is read this click here

turn off system restore XP and ME and run this online scan click here

when clear turn system restore back on

skidzy 22:37 07 May 06

Dont forget to empty your recycle bin after scans have dealt with the virus,its possible its located in an unwanted file you may have deleted.

As the above mentioned you must turn off system restore to successfully delete this virus.
click here

Garb 08:25 08 May 06

Thanks for the links. I did turn Restore off before trying to deal with the problem. Have tried trend micro "housecall" and it did find some more infected files. Kaspersky's free trial however found lots more problems mainly relating to e-mails. Luckily I had an uncorrupted copy of WinXp on another drive to replace the iexplore.exe and wmplayer.exe files etc that were deleted in the clean out. I am keeping my fingers crossed that this is the end of it.......but will not get complacent.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Switch price…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…