'Police' locking computer download scam

SparkyJack 19:09 PM 27 Jun 12

One one my flock has been afflicted with the message

'Police- We have locked your computer for odownloading illicit music- Send us £50 and it will be unlocked.

Its Scam -of course - but he had phoned the police, who told him it was a scam and and advised him to contact his ISP[ TalkTalk] who responded - Nothing to do with us .....

He then phoned me.

So what do we do to 'unlock' the machine ?

rdave13 19:17 PM 27 Jun 12

Have a look at this comprehensive Guide.

SparkyJack 20:04 PM 27 Jun 12

Thank you rdave I too have sent him a welter of links to look at on his wifes computer Will add this to the pile. That should keep him busy for a bit.

nobrains51 07:38 AM 28 Jun 12

My brother had a similar thing last week, did a system restore then scanned the laptop all is now well.

proudfoot 10:33 AM 28 Jun 12

When I started to read this post my first thoughts were to do a system restore as nobrains51 suggests. I f that was to fail I make regular backups of my system and programs etc. I would revert to one of those.

SparkyJack 13:20 PM 28 Jun 12

Back ups indeed-though on this occasion I doubt he has got that far-he has in the last week or so replaced the mo bo after a failure - so my guess he is not yer fully protected

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Rugby World Cup 2015 online: Watch live, catch up on-demand & stream the 2015 Rugby…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

See immersive artist and storyteller Chris Milk speak at London VR event

What everyone thinks of the new Steve Jobs movie | 21 Facts about the Steve Jobs film | PLUS:…