Point me in the right direction.....please

bristolgirl 12:35 29 May 07

Hi helpful people.

Can you please point me in the right direction so I can find out in very, very easy steps, the best way to get my website on google (or any other search engine).

I've tried looking at google adwords and don't understand a word of it. I know it's all about ranking but how can I find out what mine is or how to increase it?

Thanks!!

mco 16:10 29 May 07

if you do a search on this forum the topic has come up before and there are several answers. Get your site linked to bigger sites with more traffic- for example, if yours is a site about a local hockey team, get the national team to link to it. Publicise your site by posting its name on relevant forums and blogs. The more people see it and click on it the sooner it will be caught by google.

Forum Editor 00:33 30 May 07

so you don't have to do anything - they'll get around to you within a few weeks at most.

Don't expect miracles, however. Site ranking is a very complex issue, and as far as Google is concerned it's based on many things. One of them is linking - Google looks at the number of sites which link into you, so work on that, as mco suggests. It's easier said than done, because big sites get lots of requests for reciprocal linking, and they're choosy. We get at least three or four requests a day from people who want us to swap links with them.

If your site has unique content you'll come right at the top of the search returns, or very near it. I always use the example of a site that deals with breeding Purple-crested Andalusian ferrets; if your site deals with that you'll be number one on the Google list, because there will be no others. If, on the other hand, your site is a gallery of images of Kylie you'll be lost in a sea of similar search returns. Success on the web is all about being special.

bristolgirl 16:43 30 May 07

Thank you for all the helpful advice. I really appreciate it!

Apologies too, as on further investigation, I have found that it is really a common question.

I don't think that my site is going to be unique at all, as it is for a rental apartment in Spain. I think that I just going to get lost in the maze.

Many thanks anyway!

Forum Editor 23:26 01 Jun 07

for raising a commonly-asked question. If more people did that at the outset they might save themselves a lot of wasted time - and sometimes money.

Lots of people have sites offering apartments in Spain, but there are lots of people searching for them too, so persevere. One of the keys to good search engine rankings is to make your site unique in some way - give it something that the others don't have in the way of content. If you can do that you'll be increasing your chances, because although you may miss on one search term you may pick up ranking on another. You might include some text about the climate in the region where your apartment is situated, or a section on Spanish customs and etiquette - things like that. Then, when your site is finished, you can go looking for other sites which deal with the climate and/or customs, and see if they'll swap links with you. That way you'll stand a chance of attracting traffic from the others site, and they'll do the same.

bristolgirl 13:43 02 Jun 07

Thank you for all your advice!

I really like the tips about including something unique and swapping links. Looks like I've got quite a lot of work ahead of me again.

I guess I'm going to have to get my brain in gear. Not always easy nowadays.

Thank you again.

Forum Editor 14:49 02 Jun 07

if your apartment is being offered for rent is to include links to airlines and ferry companies. You might also give details of local car-hire companies, reviews on local restaurants, shopping facilities, medical facilities, banks, and places worth visiting in the area.

Don't forget a local and area map.

I had an apartment in Spain for years (but no longer), and when I was there I was constantly being asked about local facilities and amenities by UK visitors who had rented other apartments in the same development.

bristolgirl 16:21 02 Jun 07

Thank you for all your advice!

I really like the tips about including something unique and swapping links. Looks like I've got quite a lot of work ahead of me again.

I guess I'm going to have to get my brain in gear. Not always easy nowadays.

Thank you again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac