Plustek OpticPro UT12 Scanner

TonyV 21:27 21 Jul 05

I have this Scanner which was fine under WIN98SE. On changing to XP Home SP2, I had to download the relevant driver. This works fine as a basic driver, but I cannot get the OCR system to work because the software that came with the device will not install under XP. Any body got any ideas how I can scan say a picture and save it as a picture without the MicroGrafix software that was a part of the original software package? I've got Textbridge Millennium edition that I bought, but this is so cumbersome and seems to me to fail to recognise any text unless it is in a font that is so basic as to be untrue!!

This evening I scanned a document which had text only and it failed to recognise one word! I had to go through it and change all the words to an acceptable meaning then try and get it to an acceptable Font to meet up as near as possible to the original! Not a good way of working. But I would like to use the scanner to copy and retain an image as say a picture. Any ideas?

Thanks.

VoG II 21:30 21 Jul 05

Have you tried running the MicroGrafix software in Compatability Mode click here

TonyV 21:35 21 Jul 05

I can't install MicroGrafix because when I put the original disk in, I get the message that it is WIN 98 and cannot install on my machine now!.

TonyV 21:35 21 Jul 05

I can't install MicroGrafix because when I put the original disk in, I get the message that it is WIN 98 and cannot install on my machine now!.

TonyV 21:36 21 Jul 05

Whoops! Sticky fingers!!

TonyV 21:46 21 Jul 05

I've just put the disk in again and looked at setting the "SETUP.EXE" file to run in the compatability mode and it has installed it, I think. I will switch off my machine and reboot and see what happens.

Thanks.

TonyV

TonyV 22:36 21 Jul 05

After messing about with the disk and the various programmes that were on it, I think I have managed to leave the updated driver for the Scanner and also to install the MicroGrafx programme. I couldn't do it with the original driver system so had to install the XP driver, then fiddle about to get the programme I wanted to install. I think I am there now!! I will see when I try to use it in earnest!!

Cheers

TonyV.

VoG II 22:38 21 Jul 05

Good - glad to hear that it appears to have worked.

TonyV 18:42 22 Jul 05

Thought you might like to know how I got on with the shenanigans with the Plustek software. The answer was to do a Custom install from the original disk and only put in the Micrografx software. The Driver was installed as well, but I could not change that. I then installed the updated system from the XP driver update file. This went straight in to the directory that the original disk went in to. (i.e I installed it on top of the original driver). Everything now seems fine. Thanks for your help regarding the "compatibility" method.

Cheers

TonyV

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…