PluNet Speeds

Taff™ 15:16 21 Feb 09

I`m using a PlusNet connection recently which hasn`t great connection speeds normally due to the drop line from the pole outside the house. It normally manages about 1.5 - 2 Mbps which is OK.

This morning I noticed that a download was taking far too long and checked the download speed through the router. It was very poor so like they tell you to do I disconnected the router and after a few minutes reconnected. Ran a couple of speedtests which confirmed a download speed of 151 kbps and upload 372 kbps. Rang PlusNet technical support:

"Your router was reset yesterday morning and several times today. It will take 3 days for it to regain optimum speed. You could run speedchecks every 3 hours and submit them to us but I don`t think BT will act on them....... due to the resetting of the router."

Eh? Anyone heard of this before? I`ve reset routers dozens of times and been up and running immediately - 3 days?

crosstrainer 15:20 21 Feb 09

It's true and it isn't...trouble is, you will alway's be restricted by copper wire connection, which can be degraded by corrosion, water wind etc.

I have the same issues, but manage a steady 2.3 mb that is as good as it gets when you live in the country!

As for Plusnets comments, they are correct to refer you to BT as they maintain the line.

You can phone the engineers and ask them to boost the gain on your line (not sure if this still works, but I know a local engineer)

If your speed continues to degrade, then I would get back to plusnet.

Taff™ 17:41 21 Feb 09

Thanks for the response. I`d be happy with a 1.5 Mbps connection at the moment! Location is Dudley working off a Wolverhampton exchange. I appreciate that they will have to refer it to BT (even though they are owned by BT) but the real issue is whether the information given by their tech support is right - does it really take 3 days to get the speed back? I don`t think so. Just about to do another speedtest, catch you later.

Missing the Rugby. (Irish mate of mine crowing because they are top of the 6 Nations. Had to remind him we haven`t played Italy yet and we`ve got Ireland last game of the tournament in Cardiff.)

Taff™ 17:52 21 Feb 09

Having struggled all morning it is now 2871 kbps down and 382 Up - that will do for me! Perhaps I`m being cynical but a call to tech support often gets the right result.

Graham. 18:14 21 Feb 09

BT can indeed increase the gain on a line. Unfortunately, the effect is often to increase the noise. It doesn't apply to ADSL, anyway.

crosstrainer 18:22 21 Feb 09

Two gain systems...Both can be adjusted.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos