Plugging in a USB device freezes the computer

Devious Dave 22:00 26 Nov 03

I have recently installed Windows XP home on a friend's Packard Bell machine which had 98 previously. He tells me that he is having problems with USB devices. At the moment he has a wireless logitech mouse, and also plugs and unplugs a digital camera and a flash memory stick thing. The problem arises when he plug in the camera or the flash memory stick, the computer freezes and he has no choice but to switch off using the power button (Ctrl Alt Del doesn't even work).
I was thinking of updating the USB controller driver (possible?). Any ideas why this is happening and how to resolve it?
Thanks, David.

Devious Dave 22:28 26 Nov 03

refresh

Simon_P 22:35 26 Nov 03

got the same memory stick installed as the one that freezes the pc?

It may be the memory stick thats at fault.

Can he try it on another pc?

Devious Dave 23:09 26 Nov 03

No he also has a laptop and the memory stick works fine on that. It doesn't matter what device he plugs in camera or memory stick the computer freezes. Thanks for the response Simon7063.

Simon_P 23:19 26 Nov 03

As you say updating the USB driver may sort it out.

Sorry I cant offer more than that

^Bump^

billyliv 00:27 27 Nov 03

Hi, Only a maybe, but as you say he previously had Win 98 on his machine. Maybe the motherboard doesn't support all this new gear. how old is the machine? Cheers, Bill

scotty 09:48 27 Nov 03

Can you test the USB using a device that does not draw power from the USB connector? For example, a scanner with its own power supply.

It is possible that when you draw power from the USB it is causing the pc to hang.

Gongoozler 09:59 27 Nov 03

Some earlier motherboards were not very good at managing USB devices. A flash BIOS upgrade may be available to improve this.

USB is supposed to be 'hot pluggable', but as above, devices that draw power will sometimes affect the PC. I have XP, if I plug in my card reader it will freeze the PC. I leave it plugged in all the time now.

One thing to check, in Device Manager, USB root hub, Properties, Power. See if the power (current)available is being exceeded.

Devious Dave 17:42 27 Nov 03

If the USb devices are drawing too much power, would upgarding the power supply solve this?

Unfortunately not. 500ma is usually the power available. For instance, if a ADSL modem is connected, that would use all the power. Anything plugged into the other port on the same hub will cause a problem.

If no other hub/port are available, an extra hub would be needed.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…