Plug and Play failure: help needed.

Alan Ryan 17:06 06 Sep 04

Connecting a digital camera to my computer with a USB cable used to bring up a Wizard that guided the transfer of images into whatever file I selected. Suddenly, this is no longer the case. The utility in the system tray recognises that a USB (Mass Storage)
device has been connected - but then nothing else happens. The wizard has disappeared.
I'm using XP Home which automatically installed the required driver when the camera was recognised by Windows Plug and Play on the first occasion it was
connected.
Any ideas what might be wrong now please ?

Salinger 17:10 06 Sep 04

Can only suggest the usual, use a card reader. Digi Cams are notorious for having problems transferring files.

Alan Ryan 17:18 06 Sep 04

Thanks for your comments: the transfers have always worked perfectly OK for the last several months and
now, suddenly, for no reason I can guess, there's a
problem: no Scanner/Camera Wizard appears.
If I go out a and buy a card reader tomorrow, any suggestion what make etc. I should get hold of ?

Salinger 17:26 06 Sep 04

They all seem to work OK, I'd suggest you go for the cheapest you can find. A multi card reader is probably not much more than a single format reader and gives you a measure of future-proofing if you change cameras and formats later.

Alan Ryan 18:10 06 Sep 04

In case anyone's interested, I think I've worked round the problem I described earlier by connecting the camera in the usual way but using a different user account. This seems to convince the computer that new hardware is being installed and so the automatic installation procedure for digital cameras
(in XP) is triggered. It still won't work on my original user account, but I'm not bothered by having to log on to the alternative account.

Salinger 18:15 06 Sep 04

Well, it works out cheaper! But keep a card reader in mind, much less hassle!

Rogerfredo 21:32 06 Sep 04

If you goto My Computer, is there no "external drive" shown?
If there is, clicking on this should open the "card".

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…