Plug & Play driver not installing..

BaboonBoy22 20:20 06 Feb 06

I have recently purchased a plug and play device, but the driver isn't loading automatically. The CD that came with it doesn't have XP drivers on (because of plug and play), and the manufacturer doesn't supply any tech support online.
Any ideas?
Thanks

VoG II 20:25 06 Feb 06

Which device is it?

BaboonBoy22 20:28 06 Feb 06

It's the akasa usb external 3.5" drive enclosure.

jack 20:31 06 Feb 06

If your machine is XP, then you would not need drivers.
Simply assemble drive and caddy and plug in - Windoze will detect a new drive but it will need formatting, unless you have done this already.

skidzy 20:33 06 Feb 06

Hi Baboon boy....There seems to be quite a lot of usb problems lately on here,there is a method that has helped several people to remedy this problem,not conventional but works in some cases.There are a few threads pointing this out.Ok....turn the power off at the wall socket,hold your start button in for 20-30 seconds without the power on...after 20-30 seconds reboot the system and try your usb again...Like i say,its works for some and not others...Just make sure you any opened programs closed down first before switching off at the wall socket.

skidzy 20:35 06 Feb 06
  BaboonBoy22 21:06 06 Feb 06

Thanks for the tip Skidzy, but unfortunately it didn't help.

Jack
The usual xp device detecting isn't working for some reason on this. I get the 'dong' noise when the device is plugged in and then shortly after another one (deactivating). In the short time between these, nothing appears in My Computer, and in the device manager it does show, another mass storage device. But under device status it says drivers not installed

Totally-braindead 21:06 06 Feb 06

Have you set the hard drive to master?

BaboonBoy22 21:10 06 Feb 06

Ummm.. no I haven't. Should I? It's an old hdd from a previous machine. (With operating system installed on it)

skidzy 21:13 06 Feb 06

Sorry it didnt help BB22,good luck with the Drivers ...These guys should get you up and running.

jimv7 22:37 06 Feb 06

Not enough power being supplied to the drive for it to start properly and windows to see it.

On my external drive's cable there are 2 usb connections for that extra power supply.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…