Plug in new graphics card pc wont start

aca 12:27 05 Aug 12

have an HP Compaq dc7700 slim desktop with XP. Trying to install a low profile HD 2400 pro graphics card via PCI express riser.

have problem in that getting beep codes on boot that suggests: Pre-video memory error.

RAM seated ok, as is card. If I remove from PCI express slot the PC boots up fine.

Could it be not enough power for graphics card?

Did have another card x700 and did get similar issue but only intermittently.

Yesterday I did manage to get PC started with card installed and had video ouput but not since!

thanks

KRONOS the First 12:39 05 Aug 12

What Wattage is your PSU? I suspect that it probably something around 250W which in theory should be enough but to be honest is woefully underpowered.

aca 12:47 05 Aug 12

thanks

Y had look online and it is 240w

idea was to have pc as media pc but onboard graphics clunky on video playback

might knock project on head as would imaging upgrading the PSU being slimline etc a real pain and not worth the £

KRONOS the First 13:01 05 Aug 12

I think you are looking at around £40 which is pretty steep.It certainly is not a problem to fit.You could of course get a larger case so that you could fit a normal ATX PSU which would be cheaper.

aca 20:38 07 Aug 12

Thanks

just checking back and the original card I tried was an X1300 pro which was installed on some of the dc7700 and according to couple of sites should work. So wonder whether I have an issue either with the mobo or psu.

Either way dont think its worth me fiddling anymore!

Bris 21:40 07 Aug 12

Although power requirements vary from a quoted wattage of between 20 watts and 40 watts depending on manufacturer both AMD and HIS suggest a PSU of 300 watts or above. The symptoms you describe are indicative of an underpowered PSU.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…