Plug-ins? - IE tries to open without being asked!

Diemmess 12:32 15 Apr 04

A brief telephone chat with my son who has a slow work station connected to 2 other computers. This comp. is running W98 SE and has been very slow to handle data for some time.

I was asked (and couldn't give a Satisfactory answer) "What's a Plug-in" ?

I believe the message about trying to load a plug in is linked with Internet Explorer trying to open by itself every time he boots this computer?

He is thinking of wiping this one and installing ME, but would like to avoid the hassle and also understand what is wrong with the present setup?

MichelleC 13:47 15 Apr 04

A plug-in is a codec used for reading audio/video files, so the problem is probably something else.

IMHO installing me might not help, as 98 is a smoother os. If it's an os issue maybe reinstalling 98 over itself could fix ie plus speed things up.

Â ÑÌÇKÑÂMË 13:51 15 Apr 04

Plugins can be for opening other things that run with IE like Flashplayer,Adobe and the like IE may be trying to dload the plugin it needs to do run a task does it say what plugin it is?

Regards.

Diemmess 15:35 16 Apr 04

My son has sensibly cleared off anything that doesn't HAVE to be loaded, and seems to have banished the plea for a plug-in along the way.

He says it is a lot better now and intends to replace the network card which he has had suspicions of anyway with a new one.

Thanks to MichelleC and  ÑÌÇKÑÂMË for their sensible suggestions

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…