Pls help-----how to stop winXP from auto-defrag

fghjk 12:40 15 Apr 04

i am using winXP home.sometimes winXP will run the defrag.exe in background without warning and this lags the com alot.i have to use taskmanager to force the process the close.i checked the schedulded tasks but it itsnt there.anyone can help thanks alot

daxian 12:50 15 Apr 04

hi fghijk.....
i have been running XPhome for over 12 months.
and it has never done an AUTO DEFRAG,so i think it must be setup in the schedule /taskmanager some where.....have a good root ,and disable it .

Â ÑÌÇKÑÂMË 12:56 15 Apr 04

Mine is set to defrag when needed but i use diskkeeper8,i think it must be set in the task schedular look in control panel,performance and maintenance,schedueled tasks, see if anything in there if it is delete it.

Regards.

fghjk 01:39 16 Apr 04

i couldnt find where to disable this,so i posted the question here...

hugh-265156 01:45 16 Apr 04

as above are you running diskeeper full retail version?

click:

my computer/right click your hard drive/properties/tools/defragment now (does diskeeper start up or xp`s own defrag?)

if diskeeper the click "set it and forget it/smart schedule/cancel"

hugh-265156 01:47 16 Apr 04

sorry thats wrong.

"set it and forget it/smart schedule/clear a schedule/cancel"

fghjk 08:40 16 Apr 04

its XP's own defrag program.i checked everywhere i just dunno how to stop it from auto-loading.the defrag only loads itself when the com is not so active,like when i leave it com to download large files

fghjk 08:41 16 Apr 04

leave it on* not com,sry

Dumble452 10:37 16 Apr 04

Is this any help?

To stop Scheduled Tasks
Open Scheduled Tasks.
On the Advanced menu, click Stop Using Task Scheduler.
Notes

To open Scheduled Tasks, click Start, click All Programs, point to Accessories, point to System Tools, and then click Scheduled Tasks.
When you stop using Scheduled Tasks, your scheduled scripts, programs, or documents will not run, and Scheduled Tasks will not start automatically the next time you start Windows XP.

fghjk 08:51 27 Apr 04

i stopped the Task Scheduler.but when i leave my com inactive yesterday to download stuff the defrag.exe runs again.it only runs if the com is on for a long time but nobody touches it.i really dunoo what else to di to stop it from running on background

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…