Please Use the Sites SEARCH facility

Chegs ® 09:46 20 Oct 03

The last few days I have answered several queries that have been "Done to death" in PCA before.I know THIS subject has also been done lots of times before,but still the questions keep recurring.(Networking,TaskScheduler,etc)The site search is easy to setup,simply type a couple of keywords(subject+OS is a good start) into the boxes,refine it to include All Discussion,Resolved,etc and the info appears just like magic. :-)

The GnoMe 11:17 20 Oct 03

yes but not all the search keywords bring up what you want to hear, i posted a thread with a clear 'mandrake' in the title and the text, yet when i searched for it it was nowhere to be seen.

this has happened a few times and i am sure not just to me.

think about it, not all people are lazy ha ha.

cheers

G

Chegs ® 11:43 20 Oct 03

Search results

23 thread(s) match your search.

This was just looking for Mandrake.

I agree occasionally the search can misbehave,but it WILL pull up previous threads on the subject matter,especially the more common ones like network/Outlook+Express etc if you refine the keywords.

I search google for most probs,then search PCA.If I can do it to help someone,why they cannot do likewise escapes me.I am not having a pop at anyone specific,just the "new" queries rapidly disappear off page one with the "repeat" questions.

pj123 11:48 20 Oct 03

The search engine has never worked for me. Yesterday (Sunday) I spent 15 minutes typing different keywords in, even changed AND to OR but still got "No matches found". In the end I had to post a new thread. Fortunately, I got an almost immediate response which solved the problem. So much quicker than the time I spent searching.

The Paul 13:25 20 Oct 03

I must also agree with "pj123" and "GnoMe". Yesterday I posted a thread, which you kindly answered for me. I went through various attempts to see if there were any previous issues regarding my network hardware. Everytime I got "sorry no results" response. Rather than start a new thread I always do some searhces. Quite often I dont get what I'm looking for, or anything at all.

In the case yesterday, I didnt actually know that what I had would allow me to set up a link between my two systems. Actually trying to get this into the search facility would be virtually impossible.

Given the massive degree of IT skills (or lack of in many cases) I think we are just going to have to accept that this will happen.

Thanks for your help yesterday bye the way.Paul

MidgetMan 13:52 20 Oct 03

How about a "how to do" section that covers all the day to day things that are constantly being asked?? if space is a premium maybe do away with the downloads section.
That way everyone can have alook in there before posting yet another "help me!!" thread, maybe a simple troubleshooting guide for windows 9x and xp that covers things like startup problems/graphics cards/sound etc. I have seen this sort of thing on other forums and it does save alot of time and posts.

just a thought.

Pesala 15:36 20 Oct 03

Is it that box at the top of the page that says GO next to it?

hugh-265156 15:47 20 Oct 03

i find it a bit unreliable at times,unless i type exact title into the box half the time it finds nothing.

new members may not know what their problem is or find it difficult using key words to search.

if the thread titles on the subject they are looking for doesnt match it just makes it even more difficult for them.quicker to start a new one themselves.

personally i dont mind going over the same things again.

Peverelli 18:37 20 Oct 03

No, it's the boxes just below "Search the discussion archive. Your question may already have been answered!" at the top of the Helproom page - below the Registered Users Area bit.

Peverelli 18:42 20 Oct 03

I've just searched for 'search' AND 'discussion'. I selected 'Search titles and all postings' and it's come up with no entries, even though both of those words are in my last posting.

Obviously this thread does not exist ;O)

It also explains why many do not use the search facility, because it's a hit-or-miss affair.

mark e 18:45 20 Oct 03

I think the search facility deserves the: CHOCOLATE FIRE-GUARD AWARD.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…