Please remind me I have forgotten!

rickf 14:16 11 Apr 03

I am building a new comp this w/end and I have forgotten the sequence for a clean install of windows xp. Is this correct?
1)Boot comp with start up disc(win98)
2)Format h/d
3)Partition
4)Load XP disc asnd install

Replies much appreciated and thanks in advance.

Djohn 14:20 11 Apr 03

Yes, if XP is an upgrade disk, if it's a complete disk on it's own, miss out the 98 disk, and start with XP. J.

MartinT-B 14:21 11 Apr 03

No

Set Bios to boot from CD
Put install disk in PC
XP will ask if you want to format and partition HDD
Yes to Format (obviously :)) I suggest you choose NTFS
Partition is your choice.
Will perform above tasks, then install itself.

Took me 27 minutes with an new 80GB HDD partitioned into 3

MartinT-B 14:23 11 Apr 03

Layout problems!

BIOS to boot from CD

Install Disk into PC

Xp will ask if you want to Format and partition

You Choose - suggest NTFS

Will format and partition, then install.

Djohn 14:24 11 Apr 03

Although you received a "Yes and a No" to your question, both answers are correct, but from a different angle. :o)

rickf 14:26 11 Apr 03

Thanks guys. I just plain forgot. I seem to remember the last time I installed it in another comp I didn't have to set bios to boot from CD. Please confirm if this is correct or can I just follow Djohn's suggestion Martin T?

Djohn 14:30 11 Apr 03

MartinT-B is correct, boot from disk as he advises, my answer was meant to be the same, meaning, if you have the full version of XP, then boot from that, using MartinT-B's instructions.

Good luck. J.

rickf 14:32 11 Apr 03

Thanks. That answers it.

MartinT-B 14:38 11 Apr 03

Sorry for any confusion,

I assumed 'clean install of windows' meant you had a full installtion disk, and was typing my original reply at the same time as Djohn.

rickf 14:44 11 Apr 03

Yes, I do have a full installation disc and installing to virgin h/d Martin. Assumption correct. Thanks again.

Djohn 14:50 11 Apr 03

Hope you don't mind me adding further information that may be of help to others.

The above procedure will also apply to an up-grade disk, IE: you can format your drive and do a clean install straight from the new disk, the only difference will be, shortly after the install starts, you will be asked to insert the qualifying O/S CD to be checked.

You will then be asked to remove this disk and insert your new one again, and the install will continue. J.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…