Please recommend Flat Bed Scanner

Fitto 21:48 22 Apr 06

I have a number of 35m transparenies which I wish to scan and put on CD. I have also an ongoing need to scan old photos. I am the local Parish Council's photo historian. My system is old Win 98SE. But it does have USB (1). Need a recommended and not too expensive Flat Bed Scanner. This will replace my aged but good Colorado D600. Please help.

woodchip 22:09 22 Apr 06
  Stuartli 22:48 22 Apr 06

Some other possibilities:

click here

But if you can get hold of a proper film scanner at a reasonable price it could prove more convenient to use than a flat bed; you could keep the Colorado for normal scanning purposes.

GRFT 09:35 23 Apr 06

I recently installed an Epson Perfection 2480 Photo and am very pleased with its performance. It scans negatives and slides much better than my dedicated Black Widow Filmscan 2000. I had to replace this because Devcom (Black Widow) has since gone bust and an XP driver isn't available.
My complaints with the Epson is its bulk and the fact that you have a power supply and cables cluttering up the desktop. Also it is quite slow, and keeps stopping, sometimes in the middle of a scan, while it "warms up." So you could be doing something else while all this is going on.

GRFT 09:38 23 Apr 06

I should have added that I'm having problems with black and white photos (and negatives)and haven't got the hang of this yet. Perhaps someone else has more experience in this regard.

daba 11:30 23 Apr 06

I have Epson RX620 All-In-One printer.

Excellent Scanning of 35mm slides and negs, and B/W photos sometimes look better than the originals.

pj123 14:31 23 Apr 06

I have the Epson Perfection 3170 Photo flatbed scanner running on Win 98SE on USB 1.1 Excellent results. Think the 3490 has superceded this one. Have a friend with the 3490 and gets the same results as me. Excellent.

click here

GRFT, when you scan B/W use the Grey Scale setting not the Black and White setting.

Woolwell 15:52 23 Apr 06

I have scanned numerous 35 mm slides using an Espon 1660 which is now at least 3 years old. You are probably aware of this but you need to scan the slides at a high resolution (ideally at least 2000 but I get away with 1200 dpi) as you end up having to enlarge the slides. Old slides need colour correction as some get a blue tinge with age. This and the memory size of the scan can make it slow work especially with USB 1. You do not state how much RAM you have on your 98SE PC. The more RAM the better. If I was starting again with a 98SE PC I would go for a dedicated film scanner for the transparencies. See Stuartli's second para.

pj123 16:59 23 Apr 06

I have a dedicated Film/Slide scanner. The Primefilm 1800U. Used to be sold by Jessops but doesn't appear to be on their list anymore.

I got mine for £99.99 but it isn't very good. I get better results using my Epson 3170 flatbed than I do from the film scanner.

If you want to try the 1800u or at least look at the picture there is one on ebay at

click here

Make up your own mind on the maximum to pay.

Gongoozler 17:10 23 Apr 06

I'm also using the Epson Perfection 3490 Scanner as suggested by Woodchip, and for the price I'm very impressed with the results.

rmcqua 17:12 23 Apr 06

Yes, Epson perfection series for me, without any hesitation.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…