please - How do I fix this problem?

jon_s 10:13 20 Jun 08

I'll be grateful for advice on how I fix this problem.

I recently installed Kaspersky Internet security 7.0. As instructed by Kaspersky, I first uninstalled my existing anti-virus programs, norton antivirus 2007, adaware and spybot.

All appeared fine, but then I came to try and run another program I use occasionally. When I tried to start up that program I had the following error messages: "C:\PROGRA~1\SYMANTEC\S32EVNT1.DLL an installable virtual device driver failed DLL initialisation. Choose close to terminate the application"

When I press ignore I get the folowing error message "cannot find C:\TB50\TB50.EXE. Please update ASYM.INI to specify a valid path.

Presumably the uninstall of the norton antivirus has deleted a file that was shared with this other application. I have tried to restore the system to before the uninstall, but for some reason the system doesn't want to restore itself. What do I need to do to fix this problem?

provider 2 10:33 20 Jun 08

It looks as if Norton is not completely removed, which is the usual cause of such problems as you are having.

Try removing it with this:

click here

jon_s 15:17 20 Jun 08

I've run the Norton removal tool and restarted my computer, but the problem is still there (exactly the same error messages). What do I do now?

provider 2 16:10 20 Jun 08

Three things come to mind:

1.Norton is still not completely uninstalled, perhaps because one of its files was not removed but damaged during the previous removal process.(It can be notoriosly difficult to get rid of.) (Was it Add/Remove programs?)
In which case try this: click here

2.There has indeed been damage to a shared .dll and the quickest way to repair that is most probably an uninstall followed by a re-install of the program that`s affected, but without knowing which program it was, I`m guessing here.

3. A registry entry needs to be removed but I am reluctant to suggest that until you have first tried the first two methods. The registry cleaner part of Ccleaner would be my next suggestion, though, since it`s known to be not too aggressive.

There`s more but perhaps that`s enough to be going on with.

crosstrainer 16:16 20 Jun 08

Removal:

click here

Second one down the list (free)

brundle 16:36 20 Jun 08

What is the other program?
"All appeared fine, but then I came to try and run another program I use occasionally."

jon_s 18:16 20 Jun 08

Many thanks for all the helpful advice. I reinstalled norton antivirus and then uninstalled with the recommended program then uninstalled / reinstalled the program that caused the problem. The result is that I still get the first error message, but when I press ingore the program starts normally - I can live with this.

provider 2 22:32 20 Jun 08

Some progress then, but this message must be a bit irritating.

Do you know how to bring up Event Viewer? If you have a look there you might get some more information as to what`s going on. The messages there are not always terribly helpful, however.

The other thing I would like to suggest is the Widows Installer Clean-Up Utility. It will remove entries in the registry for you without your having to go there manually, which can be a bit risky, especially if you`re not quite sure of what you are doing.

click here

rdave13 00:08 21 Jun 08

Well done and thank you for the help.

Sorry; I was totally engrossed in the problem and thought you helped along with the others. Thinking I had the problem I though that at the least a tiny thank you was in order.
Maybe I'm wrong.

provider 2 11:17 21 Jun 08

rdave13,

I believe jon_s did say thanks and that`s fine, when you consider some people turn up, get the fix they need and then are never heard of again.

I`m a bit disappointed he didn`t go for the Revounistaller though, which would have nabbed the stray bits and pieces, including those in the registry, and eliminated them, but there you go... "you can lead a horse to water but ......"

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…