Please help..PC keeps freezing!

BRFCIDB 20:32 22 Sep 06

My PC is about 18 months old and it has recently kept freezing. I have done a system restore and run Norton but not loaded any software. In other words its back to manufacturer status, clean! I left it running for about 5 hours today and it was fine and then "crash". When I say crash I mean the mouse and PC locks up, I can't open task manager,and if playing music a high pitch whistle can be heard, all I can do is switch it off. Sometimes I need to unplug the mains, as when I push the "on" button the PC comes on but no output to the monitor.

Is this a back to PC world job.

Many thanks

Ian

Jak_1 20:37 22 Sep 06

Sounds like a program confict of sorts, Norton maybe! Try dissabling Norton and see what happens.

lotvic 20:42 22 Sep 06

I would check that all the cables are firmly plugged in
Do this when the pc is switched OFF

sunny staines 20:44 22 Sep 06

could be overheating or possible ram defect.

BRFCIDB 21:14 22 Sep 06

Sunny stains

The fan is always on, is this how it should be?

Cheers

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:20 22 Sep 06

FReeezing PC

1. Overheat due to faulty / blocked fans

2. PSU voltages

3. Household power surges fridge etc switching on/off

4. faulty memory stick try memtest click here

5. virus or spyware scan for both especially if shutting down with in a few minutes of switch on or internet use

6. driver conflicts especially grahics cards get the latest drivers for your equipment

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Portable power and versatile design let down by expensive accessories and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The best design TV series, films & documentaries

iPhone 7 Plus vs Sony Xperia XZ Premium comparison preview: Superb camera gives Sony the edge - on…