Please help....have i been hacked ?

tanzanite 14:16 17 Oct 03

Think ive been hacked into! Pc has being playing up big time like not when i boot up pc all my settings have changed id have had to dload things again also internet settings had been changed,just turned pc on after 5 attempts and went to device manager where i have to yellow marks beside my rom and rw when i get info on it it says cannot start cause info in registry for it is changed or damaged,also which i find very disturbing is at very top of list is small pic of a pc with wrote in caps BELFAST KILLERS,can someone please help me,id be happy to send email of details of it if u could show me how to do it

Chegs ® 14:30 17 Oct 03

I doubt if you have been hacked.The probs you list could simply be you need to update drivers.The Belfast Killers appears to be a game server click here

tanzanite 14:38 17 Oct 03

Ok so why is it listed in device manager? Bit strange its never been there before!

vaughan007 15:01 17 Oct 03

I must agree that it is unlikely you have been hacked. It is possible though.

To prevent anymore 'damage' disconnect from the internet before booting up your PC so no internet connection can be present. This means that no one can now remotely access your PC.

Now get a decent virus scanner and scan your drives for a virus.

If you dont find a virus, download zone alarm from the web and install it.

Connect to the internet and watch carefully for which programmes request a connection. See if there is anything trying to connect that should not be connecting.

If all this reveals nothing then I think we can safely assume you have not been hacked or infected with a virus.

let us know what happens.

tanzanite 15:14 17 Oct 03

Well i have norton installed (updated reguarly) and did a full scan of system and used macfee scanner which detected nothing,should i still install Zone alarm? Also is it normal for this belfast killer to be listed in device manager and how on earth did it get there? Thanks but cant help feeling a little paranoid!

Belatucadrus 15:55 17 Oct 03

Here are links to some more free firewalls :- Kerio2 click here Sygate click here and Outpost click here. You may not have been hacked, you may never be, but as the freebies are perfectly good, why take the chance ?
As to what Belfast Killers is or how to get rid of it, I don't know.

You could try running Spybot (on the cover disc of PCA). Sometimes spyware or malware will take over your computer and alter settings.

tanzanite 12:38 18 Oct 03

After running belarc advisor i see that computer name has changed from user to belfast killers and the logins are for belfast killers,i tried system restore which advised me that after restore, settings would revert back to user but system restore was unable to restore to that date,i really need to no how i can remove this from pc!

The Spires 12:56 18 Oct 03

Try running this Trojan detector/remover, if it finds nothing at least it may put your mind to rest. Free to try for a month click here

tanzanite 13:50 18 Oct 03

Ok so dloaded spybot and it detected about 10 changed registry keys i put them in quarintine,but the belfast killers thing is still there....Spires i shall download your link,Thank you!

eddie937 13:57 18 Oct 03

the cleaner is very good, it detecred 60 trojans on my computer.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…