Please help- Speedtouch 580/120 wireless adapter

idesmagic 01:42 09 Mar 09

Hi,

So, I've been having a lot of problems over the past few days with both LAN and wireless. I'm running XP.

I factory reset our Speedtouch 580 router because all of a sudden it stopped working properly... wished I hadn't bothered!

I set it up again, following the guide given step by step, but, although it tells me I'm connected I can't access the internet at all (I'm using a dial-up modem right now, DSL)

Sometimes it says theres limited or no connectivity, sometimes it fails to register anything at all, sometimes it says I have a very strong signal (yet I can't access the internet). With wireless often it tries to connect but then disconnects immediately (repeat this about 500000 times) saying it's trying to aquire a network address. It's very strange.

After going into the router and looking at the system logs, pretty much ever other line says 'authentication error'. (going on click here)

Occasionally it seems there's no IP address, gateway or ethernet mask. I really don't understand... nothing happens when I ipconfig/renew. The network shows up when I search for networks, but, it's impossible to connect by wireless. LAN doesn't work at all, even when it says it's connected.

I don't even really know what i'm talking about, I guess i'm just spouting any information in the hope someone will know what i'm talking about!

I'm so tempted to just buy a new router, but, I don't want to waste money if this is fixable...

Well, thanks for reading, and any help in advance. I'm going to ring Thomson tomorrow and hopefully they can shed some light on this! Any help would be greatly appreciated.

brundle 10:30 09 Mar 09

Using a router you have two networks. Your router's connection to the ISP (WAN), and your computer's connection to the router (LAN). The two are logically separate.

In this instance "Sometimes it says theres limited or no connectivity, sometimes it fails to register anything at all, sometimes it says I have a very strong signal" the issue is your LAN.

In this one, "After going into the router and looking at the system logs, pretty much ever other line says 'authentication error'. (going on click here)", the problem is your WAN. You need to sort out the connection the ISP, and ensure you can access the internet from a PC connected by a cable, before you can tackle wireless problems.

The authentication problem suggests you have the wrong username and password entered into the router.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac