Please help, PC won't boot

Goatee 15:27 04 Jan 03
  Goatee 15:27 04 Jan 03

Hi there, I'm hoping someone can help me out here before I resort to formatting my HD. Heres a brief rundown of whats happened:

I installed Object DesktopX, StyleXP and Logon Loader to customise my PC. This did not cause any probs. I changed my WinXP theme, the boot screen and the logon screen also without any problems. However, I changed my boot screen again but forgot to do so in safe mode. So I swithced it back to the default boot screen rebooted in safe mode and then applied the customised boot screen. I then tried to restart the system in normal mode but it didn't boot :(

It got as far as the bootup screen and then the HD clicked, wound down and the system restarted. I tried restarting in all the other modes from the F8 menu but still no good.

Its worth noting that I didn't apply the theme patcher. Could this be what has caused the problem?

Any ideas on what I can do to get up and running as I haven't backed up in a few months. I know, stupid.

Many many thanks in advance, Goatee.

jazzypop 15:53 04 Jan 03

Have you tried the Repair option when booting from the CD? This, in effect, reinstalls XP over the top of itself - you should not lose any data using this method.

Goatee 16:00 04 Jan 03

Ahhh, sounds like a promising option. But will this restore themes, boot up screens etc to their default state? As I think thats what needs to happen to resolve the problem.

Is it easy enough to enable boot from CD in the BIOS?

Many thanks :)

Goatee 16:06 04 Jan 03

Ahhh, sounds like a promising option. But will this restore themes, boot up screens etc to their default state? As I think thats what needs to happen to resolve the problem.

Is it easy enough to enable boot from CD in the BIOS?

Many thanks :)

AndySD 16:17 04 Jan 03

You can try using the Recovvery console click here and then the LISTSVC command and DISABLE command to stop Object DesktopX, StyleXP and Logon Loader from loading.

jazzypop 16:23 04 Jan 03

Yes, it should, and yes, it should be :)

Goatee 01:22 05 Jan 03

Hello again. Thankfully I am up and running again :)

However, virtually all my start menu items have disappeared and most of my programs are partially installed. But at least all personal files and folders have been retained.

I did have a problem on the way. I tried the recovery console as you kindly suggested but it required an administrator password! I've never applied a password and don't know of anyone else applying a password as I'm the sole user? I guess Evesham will know. Therefore I had to use the full system repair as you said jazzypop but got me up and running again but for some reason has messed up most of my programs.

Thanks again :)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…