Please Help - PC Will Not Turn On

Wayne123 09:25 07 Nov 07

Can somebody please help. I don't know much about computers but I was working on my computer last night and then went down stairs for something to eat. I returned about an hour or so later to find my computer had turned off. I am now unable to turn it back on and have no idea what the problem could be. Could somebody please offer me some advice as to what I can do to try to resolve this problem.

birdface 09:28 07 Nov 07

When turning computer back on keep tapping F8 button and see if it will start in safe mode,If so scroll up to last good configuration and press enter and see if that helps.

Wayne123 09:35 07 Nov 07

Not sure if I can do this as it will not turn on at all.

birdface 09:39 07 Nov 07

Is there any sign of life,does your monitor light still blink,Any sound at all when you try and start the computer,make sure all your cables are connected properly.If no sign of life at all try changing your plug fuse or maybe using a different socket.

Wayne123 09:41 07 Nov 07

Yes the monitor still blinks fine but nothing works when I try to switch the PC on. I have tried using a different socket but as yet have been unable to try a new fuse as I do not have a 10a one but will try to get one later and try. Will let you know if that works at all.

Taff™ 10:08 07 Nov 07

Swapping the computer power lead with the monitor lead might rule out the fuse.

birdface 10:18 07 Nov 07

If it is the same cable as your electric kettle.You could try that one temporary just to see if it works.Have you checked round the back of your computer to see if the air vents are not clogged up with dust and fluff,if so the inside would be the same,It could be your PSU is Knacked.You need someone with more knowledge of your problem to give you the proper advice that you need.When it comes to inside of computers I get someone else to have a look.I know at the back of the tower there is a switch for turning the tower on or off,I presume that no one could have switched it off accidently.

Wayne123 09:07 08 Nov 07

I have checked the cables and they are fine but the PC will still not turn on. There is quite a lot of dust inside the PC and around the air vents and I was discussing this with my wife yesterday and she said that a few hours before it switched off the computer was making a funny crackling noise. Could this mean anything?

crosstrainer 09:11 08 Nov 07

Sounds as if your power supply has overheated and given up...common cause is.....Dust!

Wayne123 09:34 08 Nov 07

So should replacing my power supply resolve this problem. Is it easy to change?

crosstrainer 09:36 08 Nov 07

If you take careful note of where the cables should be when removing the old one :)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…