Please Help - PC Locks on when Games Started

DN14 09:39 31 Jul 03

I have recently installed a new motherboard (Gigabyte ??????) and graphics card (Leadtek ?????>) into my PC and I have a problem the I am desperately hoping someone can advise me on.

Whilst my new hardware operates fine in Windows 98 and will happily run Word and Excel etc I encounter problems when I try to run games. Within say 5 or 10 seconds of starting a game that I could previously run problem free on my old configuration the PC locks up and I have to reboot.

Please can someone give me some pointers as to what could be causing this - is it a conflict between my motherboard and graphics card drivers?, my power supply is not man enough for the job of the new hardware? or is it as someone in my office thinks possibly a problem in my BIOS settings?

Any light that you can shed on this problem would be gratefully accepted.

Fingers crossed,

DN14

DN14 09:41 31 Jul 03

Sorry just correcting the title of the thred so it makes a little more sense.

Jester2K II 09:44 31 Jul 03

More info.

What motherboard? Did you install the Motherboard drivers?

What G Card? What Drivers? What version DirectX? What games?

Did you just swap the Mobo or did you reinstall Windows??

DN14 09:55 31 Jul 03

Sorry I forgot to put in the hardware the motherboard is a GA-7VA and the Grpahics Card is a Leadtek Winfast A340TDH.

I have installed both the motherboard and grpahics card drivers that came with the hardware and have DiretX8 installed (the grapahic card is suppoesed to support upto DirectX9).

I have re-installed Windows but I did not format the hard drive. So I guess I could pronbebly be suffering from a clash with old drivers and may need to do a reforma of the hard drive ??

With regards games they are nothing wizzy just things like Total War, CM4 and The Thing.

hugh-265156 10:53 31 Jul 03

have a look at click here an FX 5200 is optomized for direct x 9.it may be worth downloading it as some of the games im playing at the moment require it now and dont work with 8.1.

DN14 12:11 31 Jul 03

Huggyg71 Cheers the Leadtek site certainly gave me some pointers, what games are you playing that require Dirext X9????

Ta,

DN14

hugh-265156 12:47 31 Jul 03

colin macrae rally,GTA vice city.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…