Please help novice - WIFI

sureman 20:37 13 Oct 09

Hi to all
I have just bought an iTouch and would now like to connect to the web, I have B/B coming into the house on an ethernet cable straight to my PC, can I just fit a Network Adaptor card to my PC then connect wirelessly from this with my iTouch.
Sorry if this is nonsense but this is all new technology to me.
Regards

tullie 21:22 13 Oct 09

The ITouch is wifi enabled isent it?Would have thought you could connect ok to your wireless router without anything else,others will advise better

sureman 21:33 13 Oct 09

Problem is I do not have a wireless router, the internet comes from a rooftop airbridge down an ethernet cable into my PC this I cannot touch, can I therefore just fir a network adaptor to "push" the WiFi around the house.
Thanks

Strawballs 22:26 13 Oct 09

Sounds like you need a wireless router and plug the the ethernet lead into the back of it which should then alow you to go wireless, I'm sure if I am wrong someone will correct.

mgmcc 23:40 13 Oct 09

As 'Strawballs' suggests, you can plug the ethernet broadband feed cable into a wireless "Cable/DSL Router" and connect both PC and iTouch to that.

Alternatively, you could install a Wireless Network Adapter in the PC, enable "Internet Connection Sharing" on your existing connection to the internet and set up an *AD HOC* wireless network between PC and iTouch, but the router option would be much more straightforward.

ambra4 03:44 14 Oct 09

“The internet comes from a rooftop airbridge down an ethernet cable into my PC this I cannot touch”

The “Rooftop Airbridge” system is just a “Fixed Wireless Broadband System” connected to your

Computer via an ethernet cable just like a cable connection

If you cannot remove the Airbridge Cable from your computer there is no other way for you

to have a “Home Wireless Network”

You need a “Wireless Access Point Unit” with “WISP Client Router and WISP Repeater Mode”

(Wireless Internet Service Provider Mode)

D-Link DAP-1160/B Wireless G Open Source Access Point

Have “WISP Client Router and WISP Repeater Mode”

click here

“Down an ethernet cable into my PC this I cannot touch”

I would suggest if you cannot touch or don’t want to touch the Airbridge Cable that you get

someone with wireless experience who will connect the “Wireless Access Point Unit” to the

Airbridge Cable and configure the “Wireless Access Point Unit” to use the

“WISP Client Router and WISP Repeater Mode”

You can download the user manual on the D-Link DAP-1160/B “Wireless Access Point Unit” at

bottom of page and also the Quick Installation Guides and take a read on how to

Configure the Wireless Access Point Unit using the “WISP Client Router and WISP

Repeater Mode” Section 2 - Page 16

click here

If you need to install extra hardwire devices at a later date all you would need is a network

switch connect to the Lan Port 2 on the D-Link DAP-1160/B “Wireless Access Point Unit” and

all hardwire devices will now connect to the switch

D-Link 5 Port 10/100 Unmanaged Ethernet Switch

click here

sureman 10:52 14 Oct 09

Wow
Sounds complicated, many thanks to all, maybe I would be better getting my ISP to supply and configure what is needed.
Once again many thanks to you all for your help and knowledge.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…