Please help! newbie trying to instal elements 6

skizee 14:34 14 Mar 08

I have only just got my first pc last week and tried to install elements 6 yesterday. It failed. I have a few questions...

firstly it says to un-install and the re-install virus software and any programmes from symantec.

i dont know how to un-install and re-install my virus checker (it was a preloaded AVG free one so i have no disk)i am not as yet connected to the internet - using this at work. would i have to download a new copy after just deleting the current one? i also have no idea what symantec programmes are!

also says you need a microsoft direct x 9 compatible display driver. not sure what this is but i have a 8600 GTS 512mb nvidia graphics card installed. is that is what it means?

it also says it has to be at a monitor res of 1024 x 768 or less. does that mean i cannot use my 22inch widescreen?! i have changed the res on mine to the above but it seems a waste of my nice 22inch display?!

anyway, after trying to instal and it failing, windows said 'serious error occured' the trouble was i couldnt click onto it to find out why, as the keyboard and mouse would not work. i did panic a bit but the only thing i could do was turn it off and re-start. when i did, no error messages came up but elements was not installed. i am worried about trying again now.

i dont have any support with this pc (hence my questions here)

sorry for the ramblings! any help appreciated!

woodchip 14:46 14 Mar 08

you will see in system tray near to clock icons, hover you mouse over these till you find av the right click and disable or stop it running while you install software

Quiet Life 16:01 14 Mar 08

Your graphics card and monitor are fine. No need for concern.
Try another instal disabling AVG as per woodchip.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…