Please help a newbie with networking problem

Newbie2010 23:55 13 Jan 10

Hi Guys,

This is my first post so please be patient with me.

I’m helping a friend and have run into problems.

He has a small office that shares a broadband connection with his friends upstairs; there is a wired connection from their netgear router. My friend has purchased a new desktop pc and I offered to help get it all connected etc.

He had a wireless belkin router that I connected to his current cable and then connected a second cable to his new pc (windows 7 os)– everything appears to be working fine.

I then installed a usb wireless adapter on his old pc (xp os) and that connected to the internet no problem.

Both desktops work fine individually without me having to do anything but I cannot get them to network together?

Normally I just keep tinkering without knowing what I am doing, It may be something to do with the router upstairs but they are closed for 10 days.

Sorry if I am being a pain or posted in the wrong place but I am very new to this.

Thanks for any help

mgmcc 08:17 14 Jan 10

It may be a firewall problem, particularly if running a third-party firewall such a Zone Alarm in one or both PCs. These would need to be configured to allow access to the IP addresses of the networked computers or, preferably, the 192.168.2.0 Subnet used by Belkin routers.

dawood 09:39 15 Jan 10

If both computers are connected correctly, they should be able to ping each other. Also as what mgmcc mentioned, it could be firewall blocking (Windows firewall, antivirus firewall, Zonealarm, etc) issue on computer too.

dawood
Home Network & Wireless Network Help click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

Best Mac antivirus 2017