Please help, my pc has died!

White_Elephant 09:09 28 Jan 06

hi there

My old pc has just died. When I go to switch on, the pc powers up then switches itself off after a few seconds. The led comes on and the fan whirrs in to action but thats it, no boot up.
Afterwards it just wont come on at all.

Have tried different power leads and sockets, to no avail. Haven't opened it up yet, any suggestions?

1.0 ghz athlon
384 sd-ram
ati 9200 gpu
win-xp pro

agostini 09:15 28 Jan 06

Try holding the Ctri key during startup to try different startup procedures. Ie safe mode etc

White_Elephant 09:39 28 Jan 06

Just tried that, no joy. It won't come on at all now, doesn't even light up.
Pc is about 5 years old, could the cmos battery have gone?

bowie 09:46 28 Jan 06

sounds like the power supply has failed,sending power for fan can not supply enough power for mother board. Had the same at work new ps sorted

bowie 09:47 28 Jan 06

sounds like the power supply has failed,sending power for fan can not supply enough power for mother board. Had the same at work new ps sorted

Gongoozler 10:03 28 Jan 06

If the computer is switching off after a few seconds - and presumably before any POST beep, then your problem isn't in Windows because your computer hasn't got that far. Bowie is probably right and the power supply has failed. Fortunately PSUs aren't too expensive and are very simple to replace. Before you go out and buy a PSU, though, eliminate a few other possibilities. One possibility is a corrupted CMOS, so try resetting that either by the reset link or by removing the battery for about 10 minutes. Next try unplugging the drives from the motherboard. If that doesn't help, then unplug everything else from the motherboard except the processor with heatsink, power supply, power switch and case speaker. If that doesn't help, unscrew the motherboard from the case and place it on an insulating surface such as a sheet of card. After that it can only be one of the few remaining components that is causing the problem.

White_Elephant 10:15 28 Jan 06

Will try of some of tests Gongoozler before I get new psu. Unfortunately, threw out a perfectly decent spare psu a month ago after replacing it on my newer machine...darn it!

Biotech 11:49 28 Jan 06

There was an article in a recent PC Pro where someone "Jump Started" a PC using the power from another. Disconnected from running Mobo and connected to non running. Need a long enough lead of course but saves dimantling.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…