Please help, my old pc died!

darkster 16:26 13 Jan 03
  darkster 16:26 13 Jan 03

Hello, Please could somebody help me, my old pc has just died. It won't boot at all, HDD light just flickers for a few seconds and then goes out. I've tried a new HDD but still same problem. Could it be Processor (P3 750), memory failure (128K SD - I really used to make it work/struggle!) or motherboard? I've tried checking all connections and re-seating all components. If it sounds like CPU could someone tell me where I can get a replacement from reasonably cheaply?
Thanks in advance

woodchip 16:53 13 Jan 03

Power Supply I would think, gone poof

darkster 17:22 13 Jan 03

Power supply would seem ok, power light on and fans working, HDD starts to come to life then light goes out and silence.

BRYNIT 17:27 13 Jan 03

Try removing all card just leave the video card in. if this work insert card one at a time

Diemmess 17:48 13 Jan 03

Can you borrow a PSU?

Like so many things substitution with something that works may be the only way.

I would think your CPU is unlikely to have blown unless the cooling fan went first. the mobo's own chips are suspect but again the PSU is the first stop as woodchip's shorter advice recommends.

darkster 20:09 13 Jan 03

Thanks, I'll try to borrow a PSU from a mate and take it from there. I suppose it's just a matter of trial and error then.

siarad 20:16 13 Jan 03

Incorrectly fitting video card, remove & refit

darkster 19:19 14 Jan 03

Back again, haven't been able to borrow PSU. I've tried removing and refitting everything (as advised above). Before I go out and buy a new PSU, the thing troubling me is that the CD drive, CDRW drive and floppy drive are all functioning. (Opening and closing) Please forgive my ignorance but would this still happen if PSU had failed?

Gongoozler 19:38 14 Jan 03

darkster, try booting into BIOS setup. If you can do this, then I don't think there is anything wrong with your power supply or processor. Can your BIOS detect the hard drive? If it can't then there is probably a motherboard problem. Does your BIOS have a power supply monitoring function? That is all my ideas for now, I'll see if I can think of some more ;-).

darkster 19:46 14 Jan 03

Thanks for response Gongoozler, trouble is that I can't even boot into BIOS. I've tried Windows boot disc and manufacturer recovery disc but HDD makes no noise at all, light just goes on for a few seconds then out with no other activity. As I say, I've tried another HDD from another PC but same problem - won't boot at all.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…