Please help me speed up my laptop

dougle00 18:56 11 Oct 08

Hello all, my laptop is dreadfully slow and I don't know how to check what processes are slowing it down.

I have tried all the common AVG virus and spyware program scanners but nothing found. I also run zonealarm to protect me.

Can anyone help me out?

Thanks

peter99co 19:13 11 Oct 08

What O/S are you using? Have you defragmented recently? Use Task Manager to see active processes. Ccleaner will remove/cleanup any unneccessary files etc.

brundle 19:13 11 Oct 08

Plenty of threads on the subject if you'd care to search. Read FruitBat's contributions here click here

birdface 19:14 11 Oct 08

In Taskmanager what program are using up most of the CPU.if nothing running System Idle process should be showing about 97% this is normal.If help is a bit slow coming.You could turn on Windows firewall then delete Zone alarm then run C Cleaner.If computer is running better maybe keep Windows Firewall running until you get the computer working properly.Them maybe turn Zone alarm back on or try something else. If AVG8 I have to switch my Resident Shield off as it was using a lot of the CPU up.Winaso Optimizer a good program for speeding up your computer.click here If you have downloaded SP3 lately maybe a defrag will help.

Quiller. 19:27 11 Oct 08

Make and model of laptop and is it running XP or Vista?

dougle00 20:02 11 Oct 08

Thanks guys, I am on a Dell inspiron 6400 XP. The problem is at it's worst when I try to access autotrader, when it searches for cars, the whole computer comes to a grinding halt and I need to reboot.

ACOLYTE 20:17 11 Oct 08

That site most probably uses a lot of pictures,so it may be you need to clean your IE temp folders,pictures can also slow down the loading time of sites so maybe turning off show pictures in IE settings help the site load faster,you could still see the picture by right clicking it and select show picture,this is not a perfect solution but it might help.

peter99co 20:27 11 Oct 08

Disc Cleanup option could be checked on to remove temp files.

How much space is free on hard drive? A check can be made using analyse on defragmenter.

Do you housekeep your laptop?

woodchip 21:46 11 Oct 08

a Slow Speed Hard Drive can be part of the problem.

I changed one of mine as disc never stopped working.
From a 4200rpm to a 7200rpm also went from 30Gb to 60Gb

Aaron Guzman 09:24 17 Aug 10

Hi ,

I think there is lots of garbage on ur PC...this might the cause for slowness while booting & after start up..i faced this prob in past...i tried sum software like Ace utilities , Advanced System Optimizer , PC utilities..all works f9..but i can say Advanced System Optimizer has best cleaners & optimizers in all..it has loads of utilities 4m system optimizers to uninstaller... that can speed up PC performance & can run PC smoother...right now i m using it for regular maintenance for my PC..& really helped me.It has Registry Cleaner to System
Cleaner..!!This can surely helpu in speeding up PC performance.. :)
It is available at Cnet.

birdface 09:28 17 Aug 10

Aaron no use opening a 2 year old thread.
Just open a new thread and I am sure that you will get the help that you need.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…