Please help me to recover my computer and my files

hiwatt 10:01 07 Jan 08

Hi folks,I really need help.I've very stupidly disabled the "everyone" account on my computer(xp pro)When it boots it just hangs at the xp screen but the box where I would enter my password has gone.I was told to try safe mode with command prompt but the same thing happens.It just reboots to safe mode and hangs.I've got an xp(home) cd but I have xp pro installed.Is there ANY way I can get my computer and it's contents back?Tanks for any help forthcoming.

johnnyrocker 10:06 07 Jan 08

can you enter safe mode?

johnny.

birdface 10:16 07 Jan 08

I don't suppose just pressing the the windows key will take you into the start programs will it.Or safe mode with last good configuration.Or probably repair install would do it.But you might need an XP pro disc.I am sure someone will be able to guide you through it.it's a bit beyond me.

hiwatt 10:21 07 Jan 08

I can't even enter safe mode.It boots to safe mode but because there is no box to enter my password it just hangs there.Thanks.Buteman I've tried that too to no avail.I'm getting pretty desperate now.

brundle 10:24 07 Jan 08

How did you disable the account? Don't attempt a repair install with your XP Home CD, it will do more harm than good, though you can use it to boot into a recovery console to attempt repairs using the files already on the system. click here

hiwatt 10:59 07 Jan 08

I was trying to update adobe but couldn't get it to uninstall via add/remove programs.So on the advice of someone else I was told to select the system account to see if that would work but I ended up(very stupidly)deleting the "everyone" account.There is still an account for administrator(me)I'm the only user but I cant get in.I've got lots of important stuff that I need.I've borrowed this computer for the day to try and get it fixed.Thanks.

jessop_bill@hotmail.com 12:32 07 Jan 08

1. At a command prompt, type "control userpasswords2" and press Enter to open the Windows 2000-style User Accounts
application.
2. On the Users tab, clear the Users Must Enter A User Name And Password To Use This Computer check box and then
click OK.
3. In the Automatically Log On dialog box that appears, type the user name and password for the account you want to be
logged on each time you start your computer.
Remove Login Password
Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Local Security Settings/Minimum Password Length/Reduce it to 0 (No password required). Control Panel/User Account/Your Account/Remove Password.

hiwatt 13:06 07 Jan 08

When I choose safe mode with command prompt it boots as if into safe mode but nothing appears except the windows xp screen but with no dialog box.Is there anything else I can do?Thanks.

stylehurst 14:05 07 Jan 08

If all else fails then try this site,
click here
It tells you how to use a Knoppix Linux CD to access your PC to recover files.
I have used it & it works very well, & will at least give you a chance to recover your data.

stylehurst 14:05 07 Jan 08

If all else fails then try this site,
click here
It tells you how to use a Knoppix Linux CD to access your PC to recover files.
I have used it & it works very well, & will at least give you a chance to recover your data.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…