please HELP ME!!!

lizipants 13:43 24 Mar 05

recently i purchased a dvd rw for my pc, its plug and play. i popped it in and at first i had trouble getting the comp to find it but managed it in the end and now i presume it works ok. BUT ... my comp is not registering that i have a cd rw its just vanished! ive tried all the troubleshooters and all that stuff in my comp but it just wont detect it. how do i get it back???

TED1 13:44 24 Mar 05

What OS is it? Win 98, XP?

TED1 13:46 24 Mar 05

Have you set the jumpers on the drive to be salve or master? does the bios recognise it?

ventanas 13:52 24 Mar 05

What other drives do you have in the pc. hdd's or optical. dvd-rw's like to be the master so its best on the secondry chanel as the master drive. If you already have an existing optical drive you may have to swap them around. If any existing drive is set to cable select, then set the new one to this as well. Master cables have a black connector, slaves a grey, and make sure they are pushed in all the way. My cd drive vanished once after installing a dvd-rw. Cause - I had disturbed the cable, a firm push and it came back again.

lizipants 13:58 24 Mar 05

have no idea what to do or what jumpers r? apart from being wooly! my os is xp

TED1 14:04 24 Mar 05

that could be your problem. You need the computer to know what and where is attached to it. Jumpers designate a drive Master, slave, or cable select, the drive you had already in should have been set to master, so you would move the jumpers ( little plastic pins at the back of the drive ) to the slave position ( stated somewhere in a diagram on the drive). This all depends on where you have IDE devices connected of course. You then need to go into the bios and make sure it can see your drive, if it can WIndows should recognise that the drve is there.

ventanas 14:11 24 Mar 05

click here for a diagram. This is for hard drives, but optical drives are no different.

plsndrs3 14:16 24 Mar 05

Here is a simplistic idea of what jumpers are & where they are. click here
This is only a guideline for seagate harddrives, but the basic will still be true for your optical drive and you will have to check for your specific brand of DVD/RW [use google & input the brand name followed by jumpers if you received no paperwork with the drive].

HTH

Paul

plsndrs3 14:18 24 Mar 05

Snap! :o)

NinkyRudes 14:24 24 Mar 05

click here for basic advice about what jumpers are etc. as we have been dealing with a similar problem here.

Also, please try to input more useful information into your thread title. I will be answered if you just put "HELP ME!!!!!!!!!" or the like as the title, but it won't be easy for the forum search engine to link other hapless individuals, with exactly the same problem, to this thread.

Good luck!

ventanas 14:34 24 Mar 05

Yep, great minds and all that :-))

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…