please help laptop completely dead...no fan...no lights...

mandy24 10:34 19 Dec 11

Hi, I have a Toshiba Satellite l45od-13x which is almost 3 years old. Last night I was using windows media player to watch a dvd. The program froze so i turned my laptop off. This morning I attempted to switch my laptop on, and nothing happened. By nothing, I mean the fans didnt even come on, neither did the light to indicate it had been switched on. Additionally, when I plug the charger into the laptop, the lights which usually come on to indicate that the laptop is charging do not. The charger works fine so I know thats not the problem. I have tried removing the battery and pressing the power button then replacing it. This has made no difference. Please help! Thank you!

birdface 10:43 19 Dec 11

Have you tried using it without the battery and just using the charger.

mandy24 10:51 19 Dec 11

yea, I have tried that too, still nothing.

robin_x 11:11 19 Dec 11

Hold jack pushed up down left and right to check for dodgy socket connection.

Flex the cable a bit at jack end and brick end to check for broken wires in the cable.

A light on the charger does not necessarily mean it is working either.

Or it could me a motherboard problem.

mandy24 11:16 19 Dec 11

hey, I just tried what you suggested, this has made no difference either.

Jollyjohn 11:30 19 Dec 11

Next step is to borrow a good, fully charged, battery if you can.

If laptop responds to good battery then it is a charging issue - either the charger or the connector in the laptop.

onthelimit1 14:56 19 Dec 11

How do you know the charger is OK? It sounds a bit as though it hasn't been charging the battery which is now flat.If there is a problem with the mobo, I would still expect the charge light to illuminate (not guaranteed, as the setup of the circuitry is different from one model to the next).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

What I learned from my mentor, Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Phil Tippett

Siri vs Google Assistant