Please help, I can't load certain web site

Denpen 18:18 13 Jul 03

Hi, I have been unable to access www,
I used to be able to and I know the site is not down. I have even re installed windows XP thinking it would sort it out but I'm afraid it hasn't. Please help.

VoG II 18:21 13 Jul 03

See if this applies click here

powerless 18:23 13 Jul 03

click here

Go to start > Run > Copy and paste:

cmd /k ping click here

Click ok and if you see 'Request Time out' it's a connection problem.

If you see a 'reply from (a number here) likely to be a setting on you computer causing trouble.

powerless 18:25 13 Jul 03

I mean...

cmd /k ping www. sprufc. com

Just remove the spaces after www. and sprufc.

Denpen 18:45 13 Jul 03

I get the following message, "Ping request could not find host click here. Please check name and try again."

jazzypop 18:57 13 Jul 03

Try typing the IP address into your browser window - - then hit Enter.

If this does not work, you may have a corrupted Hosts file. If you run Win98/ME, there is a file called Hosts (no extension) in your Windows folder. If running Windows NT/2000/XP Pro it is in winnt\system32\drivers\etc . If XP Home, look in windows\system32\drivers\etc.

You can either open it with Notepad, and edit out any reference to the IP address or URL of the site, or simply delete it, and Windows will rebuild it next time you reboot.

A final thought - are you running any sort of 'privacy' program, such as Norton Internet Security? If so, try disabling it and then revisit the site.

Denpen 19:05 13 Jul 03

The IP returns MSN search sying can't find it.
It sometimes does that if I enter URL. Other times it just says page can't be displayed.
HOST file has no reference to this site.
I have only just re-installed XP. No security other than XP firewall. Before re-installing XP I had firewall disabled and ran Zone-alarm.

jazzypop 19:12 13 Jul 03

If it can't be found, it could be a DNS problem.

Go to Control Panel, select your Internet Connection, choose Properties, select the TCP/IP protocol, select Properties, look for the DNS entries. If it is set to Automatic, try going to your ISP's website and finding the Primary and Secondary DNS addresses, and enter them manually as above.

Denpen 19:59 13 Jul 03

I set the DNS' no joy.
I tried typing the IP and URL HOSTS, no joy.
can anyone suggest more?

Valvegrid 20:09 13 Jul 03

Hi, I have been following this thread for a while now, you haven't mentioned which server your on. The reason I mention this is that I'm having trouble accessing a web site that I know is active.

click here

Just wondering if this another NTL extravaganza?

If not, don't worry, it was just a thought.

Good luck

Denpen 20:17 13 Jul 03

ISP is Tiscali (ex Tinyworld)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Studio vs iMac 5K comparison review: Apple and Microsoft all-in-one PCs battle it out

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Social media image sizes, specs and aspect ratios: the ultimate guide

New MacBook Pro release date, price and specs | New MacBook Pro 2016 announced: Now with Touch Bar…