PLEASE HELP!!! DELL SUPPORT WONT HELP!!

**Tony_b** 11:31 26 Aug 10

many thanks in advance, I have a Dell 525 PC (I know "why did you buy a dell") well to be honest i wish i never it is about 10 months old after 3 months it was sent back to dell with a power fail, it burnt out, they sent it back to me only for me to find out it still wouldnt work so they talked me into the f8 restart.
Any way I now need to restart again due to software faults, I have tried to do the f8 restart but it fails to do anything!! I have then gone into the f12 menu and re booted from disk!! this tho leaves the old system still there. I need a complete wipe out!!! could you please help me, as dell are refusing to...

Regards in advance,
Tony

howard64 11:39 26 Aug 10

dell normally have a recovery partition on the drive. You have to find out for your model how to use it. It will wipe your hard so you lose all of your files etc. I have restored several dells and normally it is simply a case of following their instructions. Do you really need to do a factory reset? If you tell us the exact problem on here we may be able to talk you through without the factory reset.

woodchip 11:58 26 Aug 10

Sounds like you have two Operating Systems on the same drive!

**Tony_b** 12:13 26 Aug 10

Hi woodchip yes i have the windows 7 upgrade is there anyway around the f8 issue

scotty 12:22 26 Aug 10

Dell installs have a modified Master Boot Record (MBR) which is designed to use a key combination for system recovery. You may have overwritten the MBR when you installed Windows7. The way to tell is the presence (or lack of) of a blue bar with dell.co.uk across the top of the screen on startup.

Excellent details and tools can be found click here

**Tony_b** 12:27 26 Aug 10

when i start up i can see the blue bar & the dell logo just no f8 function, if this has been wiped out is there anyway of regaining this

**Tony_b** 16:59 27 Aug 10

Is it possible to reinstall the Master Boot Record (MBR)can it be downloaded from anywhere, I have looked but not found anything..

woodchip 17:03 27 Aug 10

You could try Use the OS CD to get to Command Prompt then type FIXMBR press enter, But me thinks this needs a fresh install after clearing the DISC if you have a Full OS CD and MS Key found on the PC under or at the back

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:04 27 Aug 10

1 Turn on the computer.
During the boot process, a blue bar with click here appears at the top of the screen.

2 Immediately upon seeing the blue bar, press <Ctrl><F11>.

If you do not press <Ctrl><F11> in time, let the computer finish restarting, and then restart the computer again.

**Tony_b** 17:52 27 Aug 10

Hi Woodchip, to clear the discs you mean format them completley..

Fruit Bat, i have tried this, but f11 does nothing either.:(

woodchip 17:59 27 Aug 10

Yes to clear the Disc if you have full Operating System CD and key to replace OS. You will need drivers also Sata Drivers before you start as OS cd would ask for these on install or you would have to load them first.

You will lose everything on the Drive when you do this

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…