Please help a complete beginner with networking!

emmaann 10:28 12 Jan 07

I have bought a 3Com router, and am on tiscali broadband. I hav installed the router, and followed the step-by-step instructions, all was well but this morning, I click on the internet explorer icon and it goes to the webpage but says it can't connect as I am offline, whereas before it would connect straight away. Last night I was attempting to set up the laptop to the wireless connection and could not get it to work as it kept showing a bubble at the bottom of the screen saying that it could not find a 'certificate' to connect to 3Com, so I guess I have 2 questions, also I have very basic knowledge of this and don't know what all the letters etc mean which stand for different things, so be warned!

corc2 12:11 12 Jan 07

Hi there. It may help to post some further details to sort your problem out. What Operating systems are you using? Are you trying to set up a wireless network? What model number is the modem? What 'letters' do you mean? Basically, the more info the better.

emmaann 12:26 12 Jan 07

I have set up the wireless network on the pc, that is now working fine, I have managed to sort out the connection thing - so ignore that.
However, linking the laptop to the wireless, isn't working. The router is 3Com OfficeConnect ADSL Wireless 54 Mbps 11g Firewall Router.I go into network connections and click connect on 3Com, it says next to it 'Validating Identity', and at the bottom of the screen it says 'Windows was unable to find a certificate to log you onto the network 3Com'.
I don't know what you mean by 'operating systems'.
When I say letters I mean, things like LAN, Mbps etc etc, so I need basic help as I am easily confused!!

corc2 15:00 12 Jan 07

Hi. You may find this information useful
click here
You may have to consult your manual to see how to change settings manually.
Try this link for a glossary of terms
click here

Operating System (OS) refers to Windows XP Home/ Widows XP Pro/Windows ME/ Windows 98/ Linux etc which is the main programme that runs your computer and other software.

emmaann 15:14 12 Jan 07

Thank you for the glossary, it is amazing as I can't believe how many terms there are for things!!!
I have contacted the tech team where I purchsed the router and they have never experienced what I have explained, and I have had to email them the screen page so they can work out what I am seeing when the page comes up and take it from there. Thanks for your help and will see how it goes with them, and maybe (or hopefully maybe not!) be back for advice.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced