Please help - Can't install programs, .cab errors

Under Rug Swept. 23:42 19 Dec 06

Please help!

I seemed to have been screwed over by Golden Electronics. I set the PC up yesterday, and everything went perfectly until I suddenly found that I couldn't even boot back up onto XP. To cut a long story short, I had to re-install and that is now resolved (for now).

Now, however, (it was also like this before the re-install), I cannot install any games onto the computer! They crash halfway through. Most state an error about a setup .cab file being corrupted, and it being a problem with either the disk, the drive or the package.

No games will install completely, they all crash half way through. Please help, I have no idea what to do, GE have been most unhelpful (in the email I recieved from Daniel, he basically said "Tough cookies, it's nearly Christmas, get somebody else to look at it". But after paying £500 for a computer from these rip-off merchants, I am most reluctant to pay somebody to come and look at it.

I suspect a faulty hard drive, but apparently it's corrupted .cab files. PLEASE help, anybody who can, and thank you so much! I really need this sorted before Christmas.

xania 09:26 20 Dec 06

My first reaction would be to make sure they know about the problem at the highest level. The attitude of the Service Desk should certainly be reported click here
and you can see what other customers have said about them click here
Seems Daniel is popular with at least one buyer!

I doubt you'll get much joy before Xmas now, but I would find out the e-mail address of the Managing Director and make sure he sees a copy of the e-mail, and also post a copy of this on the ConsumerWatch page.

Oh yes - telephone number is, from click here

020 8965 0090

Under Rug Swept. 13:41 20 Dec 06

Thanks for that information. Tried the telephone, apparently the workers are on "the other line" - what other line?! and the message just says to email them. Haven't recieved a response yet from my email yesterday (which was slightly angry and sarcastic) so I sent another just now, slightly more polite.

Looks like I'm going to have to pay for somebody to come and look it.

brundle 13:50 20 Dec 06

Try copying the entire contents of a game CD to a folder on your hard drive and installing from there - if the copy fails, perhaps your optical drive is faulty.

xania 14:13 20 Dec 06

Just goes to show how important it is to try all given telephone numbers BEFORE you buy. Let's be generous and accept that it is Xmas time and all staff want to get away. See what happens after the break, altohugh its no consolation if youere hooing to use the PC earlier. If it is the optical drive that's faulty, do not try to replace it yourself - you could well invalidate your warranty.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac