PLEASE HELP!! AOL, Antivirus, firewall&XP crash

lucasj20 02:01 26 Jun 03

The worse day of my life....

1st, Norton Antivirus 2002 starts playing up with "E-mail protection not started" pop-ups, so I uninstall it. Then AOL won't connect so I think its McAfee Firewall and I uninstall that. AOL still doesn't work so I uninstall that. Now the firewall wont work due to "unable to install network drivers", AOL installs but won`t connect, XP system restore doesn't work, so re-installed XP...got the message "could not install the simple TCP/IP services component because a file or registry entry is missing" and to top it all off my 1394 net adapter driver is, quote "not working properly"
Could all these be linked or is it a freak occurence....somebody please help me get back on the internet......

rawprawn 10:35 26 Jun 03

Put your XP CD in the drive, & let it run & exit. now go to start/run/ and type sfc /scannow. This will scan for missing or altered files , & hopefully sort you out without doing a full XP repair. If during scannow you are asked to insert CD just press retry each time. Good luck.

lucasj20 14:11 26 Jun 03

Ran sfc, I still have the same problem, AOL won't connect and my 1394 net adapter has a yellow "?" on it under device manager...any other ideas?

The Idle one 14:34 26 Jun 03

Looks like u got the Bugbear B virus -
I had to reformat hdd to cure mine & reinstal win98se on my laptop 2 weeks ago due to this virus; so be warned.
anyway sorry to be a 'jonah' but thought i had better wartn u
good luck

Colin

rawprawn 14:35 26 Jun 03

Go to the command prompt in DOS & type scanreg/fix then hit enter. I ,m sorry if that doesn't work I don't think I can help you any more. I do not run AOL & I am on a standalone computer so I don't know anything about networking. Maybe someone more knowledgable will pick this up & be able to help more than me. If you get really stuck I ca tell you how to repair Windows XP, but you may already know how.

rawprawn 14:45 26 Jun 03

I just saw the idle ones post, if it is Bugbear try these two links click here & click here

lucasj20 14:47 26 Jun 03

I will re-install my anti-virus and see if it comes up with anything.

Thanks for the advice rawprawn,I may be back asking your advice

lucasj20 15:21 26 Jun 03

tried both my anti-virus and the Mc Afee stinger....no bugbear.

I have a yellow ! next to my 1394 Net adapter...it says windows cannot load the drivers for this device...could this be the problem??

And what does a SCSI and RAID controller do...I think I deleted it

lucasj20 15:25 26 Jun 03

ALso...if I look under the hidden devices (under device manager and network adapters), there is one WAN miniport, on my other comps with XP there are 6...I think this could be the problem...any ideas anyone????

lucasj20 15:29 26 Jun 03

When I try to manually install a WAN miniport,windows says " the system cannot find the file specified"

rawprawn 16:03 26 Jun 03

If you have deleted RAID & SCSI, I think you will have to do a full system repair, when I have done repairs in the past those two values are among the first to be loaded.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…