Please help!

Fay2 12:26 11 Apr 09

At last I've managed to find a familiar and friendly site.

I had to wipe all my files this morning because Windows had a file missing and would not boot. I tried just the boot files...then the system files but no luck .. so had to reinstall the lot...aggghhh! I'm not an expert and have just managed to sort my BT account out but I can't sort my outlook Express email account. Can anyone help please.
Fay

McD 12:56 11 Apr 09

Hi Fay,
Not sure what you are looking for, did you do a complete re-install of windows, or just a repair?
If a repair your OE email account should still be there. Open Outlook click on >Tools >Accounts >Mail and it should be listed. If not click on "Add" and follow the wizard to (re)create your account ie username password isp details etc.
Hope this helps
McD

beeuuem 13:01 11 Apr 09

Can you tell us who your mail account is with? BT, Orange???

If it is BT try click here

Fay2 20:04 11 Apr 09

sorry. I replied to the thread a few hours ago but for some reason my post hasn't appeared.

McD ... Yes I did a complete re-install of all the files except user files that were saved, which meant I lost almost everything installed on the computer. After I got back on the internet I did try to set my email back up but I must have been doing something wrong.

beeuuem... I'm with BT, and the link you gave was just what I was looking for but I tried to set it up as it said but no luck .. I kept getting an error message.... anyway..I downloaded BT DESKTOP HELP and for some strange reason it seemed to know what I was trying to do and asked if I wanted it to configure my OE .. and Hey Presto ...

so thankyou both very much .. this is such a great site... don't know what I'd do without it.
Fay

woodchip 20:45 11 Apr 09

Next Time if you have a full operating system disc, do not reinstall, do a repair using the CD. A Restore CD is no good, but me I use Acronis True Image so that I can be up and running everything back to when I created the Image in a matter of minutes. Even if I had a Virus it would be gone, as long as it was not there when I created the Image

Fay2 21:04 11 Apr 09

Yes woodchip, I'm beginning to think I should have tried something else. I used the makers Software, Drivers & Recovery Boot-DVD which gives you four options to try ..Restore Boot Files only, restore System Files, Restore All files and Complete restore..
I started at the beginning but had to restore all files before Windows would start.
root>\system32\hal.dil. was missing (whatever that is)

Anyway I've got a faster computer now .. there's nothing on it ... it did say it would leave 'saved files' alone ... but it wiped the lot.
I do have my files saved in a 'D' drive and an external drive ... but I'm having to re-install everything.
Fay

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How Nearly Normal created super-fun papercraft for Google

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos