Please help.

kammeg 17:29 06 Dec 05

Any help with this problem would be most appreciated.

Up until Sunday i could easily access my internet banking, hotmail etc but now once i have got passed their first page and come to log in i just get error messages. I cannot log into anything that needs passwords. I am using broadband by blueyonder and as far as i am aware no setting have been changed on my computer.

Thanks for any advice. sorry if i haven't given enough detail but don't know a thing about computers!

ade.h 17:51 06 Dec 05

Okay, some more info needed:

Please tell us what browsers you have used and what versions they are.

Tell us whethe you have had any Windows Updates downloaded recently.

Tell us wether you have Java installed on your PC and wether it is still enabled in your browsers.

If you need help with finding this info, please let us know.

(BTW- as it says next to the title box when you make a new thread, please make sure that your title describes your problem. Avoid using things like "please help" because we won't know wether we can actually help until we read it)

ade.h 17:51 06 Dec 05

And I really must practice typing "whether"!

kammeg 17:58 06 Dec 05

Sorry about the lack of writing the problem, i have never been on somewhere like this before, so a bit dumb when it comes to this!

I don't know the answers to all your questions. I know i haven't had any window updates downloaded recently. but the other two have stumped me.

i must be so frustrating!!!

if you tell me what i need to look for i can do this.

thanks!

ade.h 18:04 06 Dec 05

"i must be so frustrating!!!"

No not at all. We all start somewhere and that's why you're here.

Browsers: most people still use some version of Internet Explorer, becasue it's there, but a lot of people now use Firefox, Opera, and so on. I won't list them all. You may even use the AOL browser if that's your service provider.

Open whatever browser or browsers you use and select Help from the menu bar. Click on About to view version info.

Java: a bit of software called aplug-in that works with your browsers to allow them to show certain types of (usually active) content. It may not be relevant in this case, but it helps to rule things out.

ade.h 18:09 06 Dec 05

Link for the latest version of Java click here

If you choose to install this, I would recommend doing the following:

Select Run from the Start menu and enter "msconfig" without the quotes. Click the Startup tab and scroll down. Untick the box next to jusched.exe which is an update tool for Java and an unnecessary resource hog. Click apply and OK and then Exit without restart. When you next start Windows a message will pop up; check the box and click okay.

This tip is not related to your issue, but worth mentioning to anyone using Java.

Diodorus Siculus 18:10 06 Dec 05

An option would be to download a little program called CCleaner which removes all temp files from the pc; that will clear out cookies also and hopefully allow you to get onto some sites.

Get CCleaner from click here and install it. When it runs, it will give you a warning that it will remove files permanently - that's no harm - it will do nothing harmful to the pc.

ade.h 18:48 06 Dec 05

Once we've got your browser inof, we can tell you how to check certain settings, such as cookies and javascript (distinct from Java). Virtually sign-in systems need cookies and many sites, especially banks, need some javascript features enabled.

One other thing; I forgot to ask which firewall you are using, if any.

kammeg 09:15 07 Dec 05

Thank you for all your help.

problem is now solved as brother got on to it and sorted it somehow.

again thank you.

PaulB2005 09:39 07 Dec 05

"problem is now solved as brother got on to it and sorted it somehow. "

Would be helpful if he could tell us how.

Thanks

driving man 10:05 07 Dec 05

FOR GENERAL INFORMATION

many sites espec. banking require cookies to be enabled. When I have to view my accounts I enable all cookies (1st party and 3rd party ) When I have finished I straight away go back to normal settings
Bank sites I had problems with are;-- ING Nat West and AA savings

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…