Please Help!!!!

All of a sudden my taskbar has disappeared and my computer has stopped working properly. Some of my programs won't work (including nero) so I can't backup in case something terminal has occured. Also my Symantec keeps saying something about instant messenger needs disabling but it is. Please help.

stalion 20:04 17 Aug 04

run a virus scan in safe mode click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:06 17 Aug 04

Can you get the Run box up?

If so type sfc /scannow

windows will scan and replace missing / corrupt files and probably cure your fault.

May require XP disc in drive

Right I have tried Fruitbats suggestion and it has stopped halfway through. My antivirus has been disabled and I can't enable it, the warning keeps appearing saying Norton Antivirus was unable to start the Instant Messenger scanner. It will be unable to scan Instant Messenger downloads for infections. I have found my taskbar but it won't allow me to go to help and support to try system restore. What now?

stalion 20:27 17 Aug 04

can you get in to safe mode?

No I can't but I am running the virus scan you suggested stallion and it has come up with 5 so far! Will this fix it?

stalion 20:38 17 Aug 04

I do not know if it will fix it totally but you need to start somewhere and if you have a virus that is causing problems it needs to go.Post back when you have scanned let us know your situation

Thank you both touchwood it seems to ok. But why did it happen and how can I prevent it happening again? It is not as if I haven't anti-virus software or firewalls! By the way my screen was terrible after I rebooted and I couldn't change the resolution so I put my graphics card cd in and installed the drivers again and all okay.

stalion 21:04 17 Aug 04

good glad you are ok now.What protection programs have you got installed?

Norton Systemworks and Zonealarm Firewall. (I am backing up at the moment)!!

stalion 21:12 17 Aug 04

you need spywareblaster,it prevents spyware from entering your system and ad-aware S E personal cleans up all sorts of nasties both free
click here
click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…