please help!!!!

NIGEY 21:14 02 Aug 03

hi guys,a friends comp running windows 2000 hangs up at start up giving him the option toenter bios or press f1 to continue anyides guys....thanx in advance guys
nigey :-)

Lú-tzé 21:44 02 Aug 03

Well, what happens when he presses F1 to continue?

NIGEY 21:48 02 Aug 03

windows boots up but tells him back up all data hd failure immenant!!!

Djohn 21:51 02 Aug 03

Then that is exactly what I would do. j.

NIGEY 21:56 02 Aug 03

so do i need a new hd???? or wot??? wme is pre installed on my hd?????

Djohn 22:04 02 Aug 03

I would think so, if that is what the BIOS is telling you to do. Hang on for a while though, someone will tell you how to check the drive, sorry, I've forgot the command word to do this. j.

VoG II 22:09 02 Aug 03

Cross reference click here

I'm totally confused by this.

Forum Editor 00:34 03 Aug 03

to run Scandisk - that will reveal any errors on the drive structure.

The message is telling him/her quite plainly that the drive may be about to fail, and I would have thought that the solution is pretty clear:

1. Immediately back up all data files.

2. Back up the partition with the Windows files on it.

A neat way of doing this is to buy the new hard drive (which you're going to have to do anyway) and install it in the computer as a slave. Partition the drive, and then, using Windows Explorer, drag and drop the entire contents of the Windows partition onto the new drive. Put the files into any partition except C: Now drag the data files over in the same fashion, but put them into a different partition. Make sure that you create a Windows startup disk if you don't already have one.

Now you have a nice new drive with all your files in place. Ditch the old drive, install the new drive as the master and start the computer with the startup disk in the floppy drive. Select the option to start the computer with a command prompt, and at the C: prompt type the drive letter that contains the Windows files followed by a colon. Hit the enter key, type: setup.exe and hit the enter key again. This should start the Windows installer.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…