Please guide me on a gaming pc

ozzy_scl 21:55 03 Oct 10

Hello guys, I just found this forum and I though it would be the right place to ask some questions.
I have been using a laptop for the last 4 years, and now I want to move into something more powerful and with ability to play the latest games.
I have been looking aroung for custom built computers, and so far I have come with what I think is a good deal, my budget is up to 850 pounds (being 800ish ideal)

I found or rather customised a computer at cougar extreme (uk)

Intel Core i5 660 3.33GHz 4Mb Cache socket 1156, Manufacturer Supplied Cooler,
6GB DDR3 CORSAIR Triple Channel (3x2GB) 1600, 500GB SATA Hard Drive,
i5 & i3 - ASROCK H55M Pro X-fire DDR3 2133 x4 P55 chipset,
ATI HD 5830 1024MB PCI Express DDR DVI,
2206 Black Midi Case with 500W PSU, CiT 700W Black Edition PSU,
DVD+/- RW - 20X Samsung Lightscribe,
19 Inch AOC MONITOR 916SWA,
Standard Keyboard and Mouse Set,
Asus Xonar DS PCI 7.1 Soundcard,
Intergrated Monitor Speakers,
PCI Firewire Card,
3.5 Internal Card Reader,
Free Courier Insurance, Standard Warranty, Standard England & Wales Shipping

for 833

I could go with a 1024MB ATI 5770hd for 767 pounds, leaving everything else exactly the same.

My questions are is it worth it to pay extra for the 5830, considering I would have 6gb ram? also is that motherboard good?
the other option they have are:

i5 & i3 - ASUS P7H55-M DDR3 2133 x4 P55 chipset intergrated (FREE)

i5 & i3 - MSI H55M-E33 - 4 DDR3 2133-H55 PCIEX16 H55 chipset (add £12.03)

i5 & i3 - ASUS P7P55D LE X-fire DDR3 1600 x4 P55 chipset (add £20.80)

i5 & i3 USB3 - ASUS P7P55D-E PRO - P55 - 4 DDR3 2200 - 2 X PCIEX16 - XFIRE/SLI - USB 3 (add £78.30) (but that's too much anyway)

Please let me know what you think guys, as I'm a complete newbie in terms of motherboards, graphics cards, etc. I guess I was stuck with a laptop for too long.

Is the price right? or too much? considering includes the monitor aswell.
Are they trustworthy, I mean in terms of the computers they build?

I have tried with cryopc, arbico and others, but they go for a bit more money.

Thanks in advance.
Pablo.

Forum Editor 22:37 03 Oct 10

in our Absolute beginners section. We prefer you not to do this, as duplicated threads can become confusing as people post responses in more than one place.

I'll be deleting the other thread shortly, but I'm sure you'll get some help here.

gengiscant 09:32 04 Oct 10

You do not list operating system, if you are going to use Windows 7 32 bit then little point in 6GB ram.Fine if going for 64 bit.
You really do not need a soundcard these days. Intergated sound on the motherboard is fine.
I prefer the Asus Mobo, but that is a personal choice as most of the PC's I have built, I have used Asus mobo's.

So dependant on your Operating System you can shave nearly £150 off the specs listed ,adding your O/S will still be less than your £833

ozzy_scl 13:42 04 Oct 10

Thanks for your reply, I didn't order an O/S from them, because I have windows 7 64bit, which I plan to install myself, and excluding the O/S came to 833.

I have both win 7 32 and 64 bits editions (got them for free for the company I work for)
I was wondering does it make really a big difference going for 64 bit and 6gb ram? instead of 32 bit and 4gb ram?

Does it sound as If I'm being charged too much?

Thanks for the reply gengiscat.

gengiscant 14:35 04 Oct 10

Being a builder of my PC's it is difficult to say whether you are being charged to much.
The company is also putting it together and testing it for compatibility etc.

I have both 32/64 but decided on 32 bit as there is less problems with software, drivers etc. Again your choice.

Another thing that if you go for the 32 bit o/s you will only need 3/4 GB ram,ditch the sound card and get a bigger monitor.
I play on a 24 inch, even my wifes monitor is 22 inch.

ozzy_scl 15:57 04 Oct 10

Thanks once again for your reply, I do understand what you have said, about them testing and puting everything together. I wasn't sure if it was too much or not (although it seems right to me).
I think I will go for the 32 bit, that way I would save on ram, and put that money into something else.

Thanks for your help,

Just one last question,

between the Intel Core i5 661 3.33GHz or AMD PHENOM II X4 965 3.4 GHz.

I know is a lot of things involved in a choice between the 2, but the price tag on the Icore is about 100 pounds more (again that money can be put into something else, if the amd is good enough to be chosen)

Thanks once again,
Pablo.

gengiscant 16:05 04 Oct 10

The i5 is a better chip overall click here
but you will not notice the difference, so go for the cheaper chip. Maybe spend a bit on a better heatsink/cooler for the cpu.

ozzy_scl 23:25 04 Oct 10

Thank you so much for your help gengiscant, you have been very helpful.

Regards,
Pablo.

DarCol 23:53 04 Oct 10

i5 processors are better than i3, and also, i would recommend you to change the motherboard, for an asus; i don't know if they are trustworthy, i think the price is correct, and it's a nice price, also the 5830 is better than the 5770, because it has great processing power for graphics, and about the ram, it helps, because the gpu, have it's own ram, and it doesn't depend on the system ram, but of course the more ram you have the smooth the games will be played, because your processor will have more space to do it's job. And you will watch the difference. I recommend you to use 8 gb of ram, it's not much difference in performance between 4 gb and 6 gb, but you will notice the difference if you have 8 gb.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…