please explain these bb speed results

nifermac 11:00 11 Oct 06

Hi been having a few problems with speed on broadband and did a test from bt as advised by them could someone please explain what everything means.

Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test:
IP profile for your line is - 152 kbps
DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM) 3008 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 117 kbps

Many thanks

johnnyrocker 11:10 11 Oct 06

what package are you on.

johnny.

nifermac 11:16 11 Oct 06

Hi I'm with bt on option 3 up to 8mb I don't get that and was informed i should get around 3-4 mb.
I did a test on the bt wholesale speedtester last nite and got a result of 129kbps. which is why I'm asking what all the info there means. As in 3008kbps is the speed I'm getting now or what my router is capable of?
Cheers

ed-0 11:22 11 Oct 06

The DSL connection rate is what you should have i.e. 3Mb downloads and 512Kb upload. Whether you are getting them, is a different matter.

Try click here and post your results.

nifermac 11:25 11 Oct 06

Thanks so the connection rate is what I should be getting but what do the other figures mean as all the other speedtesters I have used like adsl guide etc are giving results of around 60-129kbps and the internet connection is very slow especially in online games

ed-0 11:33 11 Oct 06

If your speed results are 60 - 129 Kbps. That looks like a 512Kb to 1Mb connection to me.

have you tested that site? what are the two results?

You see mine click here says my connection is 2Mb and I can download at 238Kbps or a quarter of a meg a second.

nifermac 11:39 11 Oct 06

Cheers ed-o was getting just under 3mb to start with and a couple of weeks ago around 2300kbps then gradually got slower and slower til last nite was virtually stop. Could you possibly send me the link to the tester you used. as when i explained to Bt that I had used other speedtester sites he said he's never heard of them and they were proably wrong because so many people used them and that the speed I was getting was 3008kbps and ther wasn't anything he could do all the time I have speeds like that. I am sure he is wrong like you said the 3008kbps is the speed I should be getting not the actual speed , which is why i needed it all explained to me so I had something to go back with and tell them they were talking rubbish just to fob me off.

nifermac 11:44 11 Oct 06

Ed-o I found that site you used and here's my results pretty poor viewing I think you'll find

Your line speed:

131.2 Kbps

16.1 K bytes/sec

click here

ed-0 11:45 11 Oct 06

thats the link click here. You need to let it load.

Also click here is very acurate. Try that also.

You must remember that the speed on some sites can be determined by the ammount of internet traffic the site has. Also the availble bandwidth a site has can drastically reduce the speed of the connection.

ed-0 11:48 11 Oct 06

Yes they are poor results:-(

Thats just better than 2 X dialup.

anchor 11:51 11 Oct 06

I have a 2Mb Pipex connection and regularly get about a 1840 kb/s download.

Try a test here: (use a UK server).

click here

Another UK test site:

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now