Please demystify S/PDIF (5.1 audio??)

Raywood 07:57 01 Oct 05

Hi, I am looking to try 5.1 surround sound audio on my laptop computer (Clevo D400s based). I have a S/PDIF port on my computer for 5.1 audio. However when I look into various speaker systems I find a number of them require 3 or 4 outputs. Are S/PDIF speakers rare or what other names does S/PDIF go by??

PC Bilbo 08:23 01 Oct 05

S/PDIF

This stands for Sony/ Philips Digital Interface .

Jointly introduced by the aforementioned corporations it is a file system that allows you to transfer digital media from one device to another without first having to convert to analogue thus preserving the digital integrity.

The ports you refer to are for the hardware links.

gudgulf 11:08 01 Oct 05

The S/PDIF connection is more widely used on hi-fi a/v amplifiers than computers.Which means it is more difficult to find pc equipment to match.

The S/PDIF connection feeds the raw digital signal from your pc,so you need something with a built in decoder for the digital signal,This will limit your choice to some of the more expensive speaker sets around.

The only thing I have found that might do the job is the Creative 7700 7.1 speaker set which lists a coaxial digital connector in the info click here

The S/PDIF connection is normally referred to as a co-axial digital connector.It might be worth paying a visit to the Creative website and checking the full product range click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…