Please Back Up

bremner 12:24 13 Dec 09

Recently there seems to have a been a whole raft of threads where members have requested help to recover "lost" files from various storage mediums.

Often this is possible but if the hard drive / USB device is broken recovery can be very expensive if not impossible.

Any data that can not be replaced such as home photos or videos should ALWAYS be backed up to at least one other storage medium.

External hard drives are very cheap - I have just order a 1TB external drive for £60. You don't need expensive back up programs - you can simply 'copy' the data to the back up device.

Always expect to lose your irreplaceable data if it does not exist on at least two storage devices.

mgmcc 12:34 13 Dec 09

Good advice and I would add that a USB flash pen drive should *NEVER* be used as the *ONLY* location where important files are stored.

A USB flash drive should only contain copies of important data, because they can become corrupt, with the loss of all data.

DieSse 15:17 13 Dec 09

Timely warning.

An external drive is as vital as a printer for any computer system - and repeat after me -

When should I do a backup - NOW, while the systems running correctly - not when you've already got a problem!

User-1229748 15:26 13 Dec 09

agreed,excellent advise from bremner,and is right there does seem to have been a lot of threads where data recovery is needed.never had to use a data recovery company but i imagine they don't come cheap :o(

bremner 17:20 14 Dec 09

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 7 simple tips to get more out of…