A plea for help

bob48 23:11 10 Nov 06

Hi,
i'm running an xp sp2. I have tried to set up a Linksys wag 354g. I've followed the set up leaflet, but get stuck when I try to connect to the http address of the router. I get an error code 401, not the network password box. I think everything is right with tcp/ip etc and allocating IP addresses. I've ipconfiged it and the router is showing up. It only doesn't work once I go into ie6. I'm also using norton internet security 2007. I have asked Linksys and Norton but any other ideas will be gratefully received.
Thanks

mgmcc 08:54 11 Nov 06

You should be able to access the router's Setup pages by connecting to it by *ethernet cable* and entering 192.168.1.1 into your web browser. If that doesn't work, what IP address does the computer have when you run IPCONFIG? It should have an address in the same 192.168.1.x subnet.

If it has a "169.254" IP address, try allocating a fixed IP address, such as 192.168.1.2 with subnet mask 255.255.255.0 to see if you can access the router.

bob48 18:54 11 Nov 06

Thank you for this. i checked as yopu suggested but the addresses are as they should be and as you point out. I can't help thinking it is an internet explorer of xp thing as everything seems to indicate that the router's there I just can't get to in in Int Explorer. I'll keep trying. thank you again

Ashrich 22:26 11 Nov 06

Have you tried temporarily disabling Norton , the firewall at least , to see if that is blocking your access .

Ashley

bob48 21:02 12 Nov 06

Thank you both for your interest in my problem. I did a system repair (sfc I think), restarted and it worker a treat, goodness knows what I did wrong to break it in the first palce. Once again thank you for your suggestions.
bob

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now