Playing WMV files reboots PC

Blubottle 13:28 13 Feb 10

Hi.
I have just done a fresh install (XP),the problem I have tried to play two wmv files email attachments, seperately and 30 seconds into the clip the PC reboots??
help please

jamesd1981 14:15 13 Feb 10

did you can scan these emails to make sure they werent infected before you opened them

GaT7 14:21 13 Feb 10

If you find the files are not infected, another thing you can try is to first save the WMV files to your hard disk & then play them from there. G

Blubottle 14:24 13 Feb 10

all emails are scanned auto with Kaspersky, I never had this problem on the old XP setup It has just occured!!!!!!!!!!.
thanks anyway

Blubottle 14:24 13 Feb 10

all emails are scanned auto with Kaspersky, I never had this problem on the old XP setup It has just occured!!!!!!!!!!.
thanks anyway

GaT7 14:34 13 Feb 10

Did you try my suggestion? G

Blubottle 15:05 13 Feb 10

No I didn't next job
regards

Blubottle 15:17 13 Feb 10

crossbow7,,
tried your suggestion, result still the same no difference, whilst the wmv file is trying to play it becomes stuccato in sound and locks up the keyboard so i can't shut it down with in task manager I just have to wait untill the reboot completes

GaT7 16:06 13 Feb 10

Reinstall WMP over itself. To do this, navigate to C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player. Then double-click on setup_wm & follow the wizard to completion. Reboot, & try to play the files again.

If no joy with the above, try another media player - VLC click here for example. You don't have to continue using it if you don't want to - we're just trying to determine whether WMP or the files are the cause of the problem. G

Blubottle 16:35 14 Feb 10

Thanks crossbow7, sorted, downloaded wmp 11

GaT7 16:38 14 Feb 10

Glad it's sorted. I assumed you were using v11 already.

Please mark this thread as resolved. G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Animator Emanuele Kabu’s psychedelic video is a stunning tribute to Lisbon city

Best Mac antivirus 2017