Playing wmv files on a dvd player

Marko1 22:41 17 Dec 05

I have some wmv files that I have downloaded from the net and saved to CD that I would like to be able to play on my DVD player and watch on my TV. My current DVD player does not recognise this format. Does anyone know of a player on the market that will allow me to watch these files? Thanks

DieSse 22:44 17 Dec 05

You may be better off converting them to a format your DVD player will play. There are loads of converters around - a google will soon find them.

Marko1 22:49 17 Dec 05

Thanks for that, you couldn't point me in the right direction could you, I'm a bit of a computer novice. Can I convert files that are saved on a CD? I don't have the original files on my computer anymore. I cleared them off to free disc space. Thanks.

If anyone else knows of a CD player that will play wmv files I'd still like to know

DieSse 22:55 17 Dec 05

Copy them back into your computer.

Find a converter - convert them - write a new CD.

Let us know what types of file your DVD player will play.

stalion 22:57 17 Dec 05

for playing on a dvd drive you need to convert the files to mpeg2 there is a trial version of this click here

tasslehoff burrfoot 22:57 17 Dec 05

DVD Santa will convert WMV to DVD, assuming you have a DVD writer

DieSse 22:59 17 Dec 05

Example click here

7 days free trial so you can see if it works.

Put ... wmv converter software ... into a google search and it will throw up lots of similar software.

stalion 23:00 17 Dec 05

also dvd santa here click here

Marko1 23:23 17 Dec 05

At the moment I only have a VCR/DVD copier. My actual DVD player has died on me hence the reason I was hoping to find a DVD player on the market that will play wmv files.

It was suggested that I copy the files back onto my computer then convert them. Can i copy back files from a CDR? I thought they were read only?

Thanks very much for all the advice so far, much appreciated, keep it coming!!

Marko1 23:29 17 Dec 05

Just had a quick look at the DVD Santa which looks great. My computer does not have a DVD burner though (I think??)Is there somewhere on the system that will tell me if I have just a cd Burner or a dvd burner. If I don't have a dvd burner can someone suggest a cheap reliable dvd burner to buy. Thanks

DieSse 00:06 18 Dec 05

*Can i copy back files from a CDR? I thought they were read only?*

Copying them back to your PC does only involve reading them from the CD.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…