Playing video crashes pc??

Tom123 19:41 16 Nov 07

Everytime I play video files on my PC, regardless of format, the windows explorer box tells me that there has been an error and explorer needs to shut down. I have reformatted the computer and it still does the same, any idea?
Cheers!
Tom

Technotiger 19:46 16 Nov 07

Assuming you are using XP - download/install the latest Codec pack - this may alleviate the problem.

click here

Tom123 19:49 16 Nov 07

Hi, thanks for the reply. I have the latest codecs installed....

woodchip 19:51 16 Nov 07

Try updating the Graphics Drivers

Tom123 19:57 16 Nov 07

Well its never happened before with the old drivers. I think I have the latest Nvidia ones installed 5version 50 something or are there later ones?

Technotiger 21:21 16 Nov 07

Perhaps you need to update your Java ...

click here

Tom123 22:44 16 Nov 07

Done everything suggested and nothing...

Technotiger 22:47 16 Nov 07

Are you trying to play the videos in IE7? If so then try the same videos in Firefox or IE6.

Tom123 22:51 16 Nov 07

Im trying VLC, WMP11, and quicktime. As soon as I open the directory that the video files are in, the explorer diag box pops up telling me that explorer needs to close, which it does. Then everything on on the screen disappears apart from the wallpaper and then reloads itself but missing a few running tasks by the clock.

Big Ben 01:03 17 Nov 07

I regularly read the Click website on the BBC, it recommends this site for view various diffent types of video file, not sure if it will work in your case, but it might.

click here

If your problem relates to internet video, such as youtube, I had problems with viewing web video on my old laptop, it kept freezing during playback, the help forum here recommended speedbit (the video accelerator part) its free and has solved the problems i was having:

click here

Don't know whether either of these methods will work, but someone recommended them to me and I'm happy, so give it a go! Thanks to those who did point me in the right direction, I'm a bit pissed on vodka redbull to remember their names, but either way they're stars!

BTW Super Mario Galaxy on the Wii is awesome! (pointless point but so true!)

Technotiger 08:29 17 Nov 07

Try this quicktime Alternative ..

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now