Playing online games through a university network

I started university in September where I live in the halls of residence. I enjoy playing online games on an evening, mainly Call of Duty 2 but also other games such as Age of Empires 3, but since coming to university I have been unable to do so as the ports must be blocked.

Is there any way to get around this or will I be prevented from playing online games for the majority of the next 4 years?

Thanks

Dave

rodriguez 14:50 22 Nov 06

If your Internet connection is through a network cable that plugs into the wall then you'll have to talk to the I.T support about it as they're the ones who are blocking it - but their answer will probably be no. If you're using a router or modem that sits by your computer, then you probably need to unblock it through that. Go to PortForward.com (click here), click on your router then click on the games you need to unblock for instructions about what ports to allow on your firewall.

Yeah it is through a network cable that plugs into the wall so all router settings are beyond my control. I'll talk to IT support but I too am expecting them to say no.

If that is the case, is there no way of getting around it such as using a proxy or something?

Thanks

rodriguez 15:01 22 Nov 06

I don't think there is, as the uni's main router is that's blocking it and this is what decides which Internet traffic to allow through. There's no way students can mess with it. It's like this:

You => Uni's router => Internet

However, if there any people on here who have managed to get round it, they'll probably show you - but I don't think it's possible or if it is, it's very hard.

spuds 15:10 22 Nov 06

You may well find that talking to the university IT department, that gaming activities and certain other sites have been blocked, as the university would possibly prefer that their students used the internet provisions for educational studies, and not other time consuming activities or hobbies.

wee eddie 15:15 22 Nov 06

then you'll have to get your own ISP/connection

That's exactly why I'm expecting them to say no.

wee eddie, yeah that's true, I forgot about that while posting lol. Guess I'll just have wait until then.

Thanks for all the replies

wee eddie 15:27 22 Nov 06

It has been found that the Union Bar provides a very acceptable alternative to On-line Gaming!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…